Frictional force with appiled force at an angle

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of a box given an applied force, angle, and coefficients of friction. The solution involves calculating the maximum static friction force and then using the sum of forces and the equation F=ma to find the acceleration. The final solutions for the acceleration with and without friction are 2.3m/s2 and 2.9m/s2, respectively.
Soniteflash

Homework Statement

An applied force of 30N acts on a 8kg box at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal. What is the acceleration of the block if
d8f3b29a95d1c45dc16339fa4caf3acf.png
=0.1 and μk = 0.05? What is the acceleration of the block without any friction?
2eg8y2w.png

Homework Equations

b4a246debcfbe4d357508a97bc74ad2e.png
Equation 1
F k = μ k F N Equation 2
F=ma Equation 3

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 2[/B]
I attempted the second question first since it seemed to me easier. First I set up F=ma and plugged in cos(40)*30 since I need the x component of the applied force and then the mass which is 8 kg. Solving it gave me 2.9m/s2 which was the correct answer for the question.

Question1

For the first question I began with identifying all the forces acting in the Y-direction since the normal force would be needed to calculate the static friction force with equation 1 : Fn
, Fmg and the y component of the applied force Fa.
Both Fmg and Fay act in the negative y direction so adding them up would equal Fn. Using trig functions I calculated Fay to be sin(40)30=19.28N and for
Fmg I got 78.48N. Fn=78.48N + 19.28N= 97.76N

Next I identified all forces acting in the x-direction which is the x-component of the applied force and the static frictional force acting in the opposite direction: Fax and Ffs.
Then I used the sum of forces in the x- direction and got
Fxsum=Fax + (-Ffs)
= cos(40)*30N - (0.1*97.76N)
= 22.98N - 9.776N
= 13.204N

So i think that's the remaining force after static friction has been overcome?
Now I am a bit confused on how to continue. Do I now calculate the kinetic friction and the subtract it from 13.204N and then use equation 3 (F=ma) to solve for the acceleration?

The given solutions were: acceleration without friction: 2.9m/s2
acceleration with friction : 2.3m/s2

This is my first post in the homework(first post ever in this forum) section and I apologize if I did not meet all of the Guidelines in this section (self-made graphic is too big?). I hope I didn't put too much stuff into this thread but I thought that if I put less, it would be harder for the forum members to understand what I am struggling with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Soniteflash said:
Next I identified all forces acting in the x-direction which is the x-component of the applied force and the static frictional force acting in the opposite direction: Fax and Ffs.
Then I used the sum of forces in the x- direction and got
Fxsum=Fax + (-Ffs)
= cos(40)*30N - (0.1*97.76N)
= 22.98N - 9.776N
= 13.204N

So i think that's the remaining force after static friction has been overcome?
That's not quite how it works. For static friction, you first calculate the max value of static friction (which is what you did). If your applied force in the horizontal direction is greater than that max value, then static friction no longer applies. You have to redo your calculation with kinetic friction.

(If your applied force is less than the max value of static friction, then nothing moves. In that case, the actual static friction will equal the amount of your applied force in the horizontal direction.)

Likes Soniteflash
Oh, ok yeah now I remember my Physics teacher told me about the maximum static friction force. I totally forgot that static friction either is equal to the applied force or that it is ignored if the applied force exceeds it. OK, so I just calculate the kinetic force and subtract the result from the applied force and then use F=ma to get the acceleration?
Attempt:

fk=μkN = 0.05(97.76)=4.888N
Fax= 22.98N
Plug and chuck.
F⃗ netx=ΣF⃗ x=ma⃗ x
=Fn - Fk=8kg * a
= 22.98N -4.888N = 8kg * a
=18.092=8a
a= 2.36m/s2

The solution matches the given solution.

Soniteflash said:
Oh, ok yeah now I remember my Physics teacher told me about the maximum static friction force. OK, so I just calculate the kinetic force and subtract the result from the applied force and then use F=ma to get the acceleration?
You got it. Good job!

Likes Soniteflash
Yuuuuuss. Thank you sir!

What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that resists the relative motion of two surfaces in contact with each other.

How is frictional force calculated?

Frictional force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the applied force perpendicular to the surface.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces.

How does an applied force at an angle affect frictional force?

An applied force at an angle will result in a component of the force acting perpendicular to the surface, which will increase the frictional force.

What is the relationship between the angle of applied force and frictional force?

The greater the angle between the applied force and the surface, the greater the component of force acting perpendicular to the surface, resulting in a greater frictional force.