Frictional Forces on a Rotating System and Disk: Understanding Angular Momentum

In summary: It acts on the disk in the opposite direction, so clockwise.Therefore, in summary, the frictional force acts counter-clockwise on the disk and clockwise on the system in this experiment where a metal disk is dropped on a rotating system. The direction of the force is opposite for the two objects because the disk will tend to rotate in the same direction as the system, while the system will tend to slow down.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

Suppose the system is rotating clockwise when the metal disk is dropped on it. The direction of the frictional force is...

zero on the disk and the system
counter-clockwise on the disk, clockwise on the system
clockwise on the disk, zero on the system
counter-clockwise on the disk zero on the system
zero on the disk, clockwise on the system
clockwise on the disk and the system
counter-clockwise on the disk and the system
clockwise on the disk, counter-clockwise on the system
zero on the disk, counter-clockwise on the system

2. The attempt at a solution

I believe that the answer is:

"counter-clockwise on the disk, clockwise on the system"

But it is not right. I thought that a system keeps turning clockwise, and that when a disk is place on the system, then the frictional force acts counter-clockwise on the disk.

Physics news on Phys.org
If that is the entire description you're given, I agree with you. Is there more?

See:

http://www.physics.qc.edu/files

Check under PH. 145.1 Then, check Trial 1 under the Procedures.

That describes the experiment, which is related to the question I'm asked.

This is strange. I read the OP several times before saying I agree with you, but reading it again I don't! Must have got something backwards before.
When the disk is dropped on it is not rotating. Friction will lead to its rotating in the same direction as the system, clockwise. So the force must be clockwise on the disc (and the other way on the system).

haruspex said:
This is strange. I read the OP several times before saying I agree with you, but reading it again I don't! Must have got something backwards before.
When the disk is dropped on it is not rotating. Friction will lead to its rotating in the same direction as the system, clockwise. So the force must be clockwise on the disc (and the other way on the system).

That means frictional force goes clockwise while the system goes counterclockwise?

NasuSama said:
That means frictional force goes clockwise while the system goes counterclockwise?
In the lab described, the system will tend to slow down when the disk is dropped on it. Therefore friction acts on the system counter to the system's motion.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point. It is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates around the axis). The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the initial angular momentum of a system will be equal to the final angular momentum of the system, even if there are changes in the moment of inertia or angular velocity.

4. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force and is responsible for changes in an object's angular momentum. The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater the change in its angular momentum. This relationship is described by the formula τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some common examples of angular momentum include the rotation of the Earth around its axis, the spinning of a top, and the motion of a spinning gyroscope. Other examples include the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the swinging of a pendulum, and the orbit of a planet around the sun.