Frictionless blocks and a pulley with force F

In summary: I appreciate the helpIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem that is due the next day and involves drawing free body diagrams for masses with frictionless surfaces and a massless and frictionless pulley. The connecting strings are also massless and inextensible. One of the masses has no acceleration in the y-direction, but the person is struggling with creating a free body diagram for an accelerating system. They have been working on it for several days without success. They eventually come up with a diagram and ask for feedback, which is given and incorporated into their final solution.
zwingtip
Sort of urgent. I've been looking at this problem for days and it's due tomorrow afternoon.

Homework Statement

q3.gif

Draw a free body diagram for each of the masses. All surfaces are frictionless. The pulley is massless and frictionless. The connecting strings denoted by dotted lines are massless and inextensible. [tex]M_{1}[/tex] has no acceleration in the y-direction (forces cancel)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have none. This is part a of a multistep problem and I know how to do the other parts if I can get this part. Unfortunately, I'm awful at free body diagrams, especially in an accelerating system. And it's due tomorrow afternoon. After several days of trying I have nothing to show for it.

EDIT: Have I done this correctly?[PLAIN]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1176/img0079hh.jpg
[PLAIN]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/141/img0080ch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Except for m1a and m3a, it looks good. Mass 3 exerts a normal force on mass 1 and vice versa. The two forces are an action-reaction pair. For mass 3, the normal force exerted by mass 1 turns out to be equal to m1a, which is a consequence of F=ma, but the force on mass 1 isn't equal to m3a.

Awesome, thanks. I actually already turned in the set, but that's what I changed it to when I realized the forces didn't add up right.

1. What is a frictionless block?

A frictionless block is a theoretical object with no surface resistance, meaning that it does not experience any force due to roughness or stickiness on its surface. This allows for easier analysis of the object's motion and interactions with other objects.

2. How does a frictionless block affect the motion of a pulley?

A frictionless block attached to a pulley will not experience any resistance or friction, allowing it to move freely and smoothly along the surface of the pulley. This allows for a more efficient transfer of force and can minimize energy loss in the system.

3. What role does force F play in the system of frictionless blocks and a pulley?

Force F is the applied force on the system and is responsible for the acceleration of the blocks and pulley. It is also used in calculations to determine the tension in the rope connecting the blocks and the pulley.

4. Can frictionless blocks and a pulley produce a mechanical advantage?

Yes, frictionless blocks and a pulley can produce a mechanical advantage. The pulley can change the direction of the applied force, allowing for a smaller force to be exerted on the blocks to achieve the same amount of work. This can be seen in systems such as cranes and elevators.

5. What are some real-world applications of frictionless blocks and a pulley?

Frictionless blocks and a pulley can be found in various mechanical systems, such as elevators, cranes, and conveyor belts. They are also used in physics experiments to study the principles of mechanics and motion without the interference of friction. Additionally, frictionless pulleys are used in weightlifting equipment to reduce the strain on the user's muscles.