Frobenius Theorem - Bresar, Theorem 1.4 ....

In summary, under the assumption of dimension greater than 4, there exists a non-zero vector v that is not in the span of i, j, and k. "Yes, that is correct.You also write:" ... ... v doesn't "satisfy" that, there is no v in it. i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0 is true because i, j, and k are defined to be orthogonal to each other. " Since e is defined in terms of v and i, j, k, and v is not in the span of i, j, and k, it is clear that e is not in the span of i, j, and
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with some aspects of the proof of Theorem 1.4 ... ...

Theorem 1.4 reads as follows:
View attachment 6223Questions 1(a) and 1(b)

In the above text by Matej Bresar we read the following:

" ... ... Suppose \(\displaystyle n \gt 4\). Let \(\displaystyle i, j, k\) be the elements from Lemma 1.3.

Since the dimension of \(\displaystyle V\) is \(\displaystyle n - 1\), there exists \(\displaystyle v \in V\) not lying in the linear span of \(\displaystyle i, j, k\).

Therefore \(\displaystyle e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k\)

is a nonzero element in \(\displaystyle V\) and it satisfies \(\displaystyle i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0\) ... ... "

My questions are as follows:

(1a) Can someone please explain exactly why \(\displaystyle e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k\) is a nonzero element in \(\displaystyle V\)?

(1b) ... ... and further, can someone please show how \(\displaystyle e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k\) satisfies \(\displaystyle i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0\)?Question 2

" ... ... However, from the first two identities we conclude \(\displaystyle eij = -iej = ije\), which contradicts the third identity since \(\displaystyle ij = k\) ... ... "I must confess Bresar has lost me here ... I'm not even sure what identities he is referring to ... but anyway, can someone please explain why/how we can conclude that \(\displaystyle eij = -iej = ije\) and, further, how this contradicts \(\displaystyle ij = \)k?
Hope someone can help ...Help will be appreciated ... ...

PeterThe above post refers to Lemma 1.3.

Lemma 1.3 reads as follows:View attachment 6224
=====================================================

In order for readers of the above post to appreciate the context of the post I am providing pages 1-4 of Bresar ... as follows ...View attachment 6225
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6226
View attachment 6227
View attachment 6228

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Questions 1(a) and 1(b)

" ... ... Suppose \(\displaystyle n \gt 4\). Let \(\displaystyle i, j, k\) be the elements from Lemma 1.3.

Since the dimension of \(\displaystyle V\) is \(\displaystyle n - 1\), there exists \(\displaystyle v \in V\) not lying in the linear span of \(\displaystyle i, j, k\).

Therefore \(\displaystyle e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k\)

is a nonzero element in \(\displaystyle V\) and it satisfies \(\displaystyle i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0\) ... ... "

My questions are as follows:

(1a) Can someone please explain exactly why \(\displaystyle e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k\) is a nonzero element in \(\displaystyle V\)?
This is under the assumption that the space has dimension greater than 4. i, j, and k are three independent vectors so span a three dimensional subspace. Since the entire space has dimension greater than 4, there must exist non-zero vectors that are not in that subspace.
Let v be any of those vectors.

(1b) ... ... and further, can someone please show how \(\displaystyle e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k\) satisfies \(\displaystyle i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0\)?
v doesn't "satisfy" that, there is no v in it. \(\displaystyle i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0\) is true because i, j, and k are defined to be orthogonal to each other.
Question 2

" ... ... However, from the first two identities we conclude \(\displaystyle eij = -iej = ije\), which contradicts the third identity since \(\displaystyle ij = k\) ... ... "I must confess Bresar has lost me here ... I'm not even sure what identities he is referring to ... but anyway, can someone please explain why/how we can conclude that \(\displaystyle eij = -iej = ije\) and, further, how this contradicts \(\displaystyle ij = \)k?
How is "e" defined? You don't seem to have included that. However since, in this space, multiplication is defined to be "anti-symmetric", ab= ba, for any vector, e, ei= -ie so eij= (ei)j= (-ie)j= -iej= -i(ej)= -i(-je)= ije.
Hope someone can help ...Help will be appreciated ... ...

PeterThe above post refers to Lemma 1.3.

Lemma 1.3 reads as follows:
=====================================================

In order for readers of the above post to appreciate the context of the post I am providing pages 1-4 of Bresar ... as follows ...

HallsofIvy said:
This is under the assumption that the space has dimension greater than 4. i, j, and k are three independent vectors so span a three dimensional subspace. Since the entire space has dimension greater than 4, there must exist non-zero vectors that are not in that subspace.
Let v be any of those vectors. v doesn't "satisfy" that, there is no v in it. \(\displaystyle i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0\) is true because i, j, and k are defined to be orthogonal to each other.

How is "e" defined? You don't seem to have included that. However since, in this space, multiplication is defined to be "anti-symmetric", ab= ba, for any vector, e, ei= -ie so eij= (ei)j= (-ie)j= -iej= -i(ej)= -i(-je)= ije.
Hi HallsofIvy ... Thanks for the help ...

... BUT ... just some clarifications ...
You write:

" ... ... This is under the assumption that the space has dimension greater than 4. i, j, and k are three independent vectors so span a three dimensional subspace. Since the entire space has dimension greater than 4, there must exist non-zero vectors that are not in that subspace.
Let v be any of those vectors."I understand that there must exist at least one element v \in V that does not belong to the linear span of i, j, k ... but I cannot see why e defined by

\(\displaystyle e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k\)

is a nonzero element in \(\displaystyle V\) ...

Can you help further ... ?

You also write:

" ... ... v doesn't "satisfy" that, there is no v in it. \(\displaystyle i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0\) is true because i, j, and k are defined to be orthogonal to each other. ..."My question 1b involved e defined as

\(\displaystyle e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k\)

and Bresar's assertion was that e (not v) satisfied

\(\displaystyle i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0\)

I am still unsure why e satisfies the above ... can you help further ...

Further, you write:

" ... ... How is "e" defined? You don't seem to have included that. However since, in this space, multiplication is defined to be "anti-symmetric", ab= ba, for any vector, ... ... ... "As I mentioned above e is defined by

You mention that "in this space, multiplication is defined to be "anti-symmetric", ab= ba, for any vector" ... ...

BUT ... where does Bresar state that multiplication is "anti-symmetric", ab= ba, for any vector ... can you help?Peter

1. What is the Frobenius Theorem and what is Theorem 1.4 by Bresar?

The Frobenius Theorem is a mathematical theorem that deals with the integrability of distributions, which are essentially vector fields that are defined on a manifold. Theorem 1.4 by Bresar is a specific version of the Frobenius Theorem, which states that if a distribution is involutive, then it is integrable.

2. What is the significance of Theorem 1.4 by Bresar in mathematics?

Theorem 1.4 by Bresar is important because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for the integrability of distributions. This allows mathematicians to determine when a distribution can be integrated and thus has important applications in areas such as differential geometry and dynamical systems.

3. How does Theorem 1.4 by Bresar relate to other versions of the Frobenius Theorem?

Theorem 1.4 by Bresar is a more general version of the Frobenius Theorem, as it includes all the conditions of other versions of the theorem. This means that if a distribution satisfies Theorem 1.4 by Bresar, it also satisfies other versions of the theorem.

4. Can Theorem 1.4 by Bresar be applied to any type of distribution?

Yes, Theorem 1.4 by Bresar can be applied to any type of distribution, as long as it is involutive. This means that the distribution must satisfy certain conditions, such as being closed under the Lie bracket operation.

5. What are some real-world applications of Theorem 1.4 by Bresar?

Theorem 1.4 by Bresar has many applications in different branches of mathematics, such as differential geometry, topology, and dynamical systems. It has also been used in physics to study the behavior of physical systems and in engineering to analyze control systems and robotic motion planning.