1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FTIR machine problem

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there sorry to keep bombarding you all with these stupid questions but I just cant picture it in my head. In a FTIR machine when the blackbody radiation source is split at the beam splitter and half the frequencies are retarded before making a resultant wave and passing throught the sample and reaching the detector, would I be correct in thinking that all of the frequencies emitted from the blackbody radiation source interfere to produce one resultant wave which is then detected at the detector?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2
    Re: Ftir?

Well FTIR spectrometers have a infrared source(IR), has a broad spectrum, first goes to the beam splitter then 50% is reflected and transmitted. The reflected beam is reflected back by the fix mirror and the transmitted beam is reflected by the moving mirror to the beam splitter. Two beams interfere at the beam splitter then go through the sample.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook