Troubleshooting a FTP Server Connection on Windows 10 - Hi Stevie!

In summary, the conversation is about trying to access an FTP server in Windows Explorer and encountering an error message. The suggestion is to use a client, such as FileZilla or WinSCP, and to make sure the folder permissions are set correctly. Another option is to map a "network" drive in Windows Explorer using the server's URL as the path.
StevieTNZ
Hi there

I'm trying to access a FTP server in Windows Explorer. Getting to it, by inputting a username and password, works in Firefox but I'm needing to copy and paste a folder from the server to my desktop.

I get the following message when trying to access the server in Windows Explorer (Windows 10), without any prompt for a username and password
1574371118206.png

Help!

Many thanks
Stevie

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi,

You can use a client instead: FileZilla or WinSCP.

All the best,
Thibault

Likes StevieTNZ and pbuk
Map a "network" drive in Windows explorer using the url as the path.

Like cybertib I recommend Filezilla. Very straightforward and easy to use.

Likes harborsparrow and pbuk
login the server via ssh and make sure the folder permission is set to ftp or www. I had the same issue a few weeks ago that found out the folder was set to root permission.

1. How do I troubleshoot a FTP server connection on Windows 10?

To troubleshoot a FTP server connection on Windows 10, you can start by checking your internet connection and ensuring that the FTP server is running. You can also try disabling any firewalls or antivirus software that may be blocking the connection. Another option is to use a different FTP client or try accessing the server from a different device to see if the issue is with your specific setup.

2. Why is my FTP server connection not working on Windows 10?

There could be several reasons why your FTP server connection is not working on Windows 10. Some common causes include incorrect login credentials, firewall or antivirus software blocking the connection, or issues with the FTP server itself. It is important to troubleshoot each possible cause to determine the root of the problem.

3. How do I fix a FTP server connection timeout on Windows 10?

If you are experiencing a FTP server connection timeout on Windows 10, you can try adjusting the timeout settings on your FTP client. You may also need to check your internet connection and make sure there are no issues with the FTP server itself. If the problem persists, you may need to contact your network administrator for further assistance.

4. Can I use a different FTP client to troubleshoot my connection on Windows 10?

Yes, you can try using a different FTP client to troubleshoot your connection on Windows 10. This can help determine if the issue is with your specific FTP client or with the server itself. Some popular FTP clients for Windows 10 include FileZilla, WinSCP, and CuteFTP.

5. How can I tell if my FTP server is running on Windows 10?

To check if your FTP server is running on Windows 10, you can open the Task Manager and look for any FTP-related processes. You can also try accessing the server from a different device to see if it is able to connect. Additionally, you may need to check the settings of your FTP server to ensure it is properly configured and running.