1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions real analysis

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    Let f and g be functions such that (g[itex]\circ[/itex]f)(x)=x for all x [itex]\epsilon[/itex]D(f) and (f[itex]\circ[/itex]g)(y)=y for all y [itex]\epsilon[/itex]D(g). Prove that a g = f^-1

Pf/

How would you go about starting this besides saying

Let f and g be functions such that (g[itex]\circ[/itex]f)(x)=x for all x [itex]\epsilon[/itex]D(f) and (f[itex]\circ[/itex]g)(y)=y for all y [itex]\epsilon[/itex]D(g).

isn't obvious that the functions would have to be the inverse of each other, How else could you get the identity? So how do you prove it, can I just say clearly it is.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

What does g = f^-1 mean? My calc text gives this definition:

g = f^-1 if, and only if, f(x) is a one-to-one function with domain D(f) and range D(g) such that

g(y)=x <=> f(x)=y for all y in D(g).

Start with the given and prove this definition must be true.

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3
    g= f^-1 means that g is the inverse of f

5. Sep 19, 2011 #4
    How do you prove a definition true. If its a definition shouldn't it always be true?

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5
    This is what I have been able to get to

(g[itex]\circ[/itex]f)(x)=x for all x ϵD(f) and (f[itex]\circ[/itex]g)(y)=y for all y ϵD(g).

So choose
    g(y)=x and f(x)=y

so

x=g(y)=f^-1(y)

ans since f and g are bijections we can conclude g=f^-1

does that work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook