Fundamental Theorem of Calculus problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule in finding the derivative of an integral with a variable upper limit. The integral is changed to a function of u, where u = g(x), and the chain rule is applied to find the derivative. The conversation ends with a question regarding the manipulation of d/dx(H(u)).
Pacopag

Homework Statement

The FTC states that
[tex]{d\over{dx}}\int_a^x f(t)dt = f(x)[/tex]
Now, how do I do something like
[tex]{d\over{dx}}\int_a^{g(x)} f(t)dt = ?[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it has to do with the chain rule, but I forgot my textbook at school and I can't seem to find it online (e.g. Wikipedia).

Physics news on Phys.org
Pacopag said:

Homework Statement

The FTC states that
[tex]{d\over{dx}}\int_a^x f(t)dt = f(x)[/tex]
Now, how do I do something like
[tex]{d\over{dx}}\int_a^{g(x)} f(t)dt = ?[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it has to do with the chain rule, but I forgot my textbook at school and I can't seem to find it online (e.g. Wikipedia).

Changing the variable to u, where u = g(x), the integral looks like this:
[tex]{d\over{du}}\int_a^u f(t)dt = f(u)[/tex]

The trouble is, you want [tex]{d\over{dx}}\int_a^u f(t)dt = f(u)[/tex]

So if you want d/dx(H(u)), that's the same as d/du(H(u))*du/dx, isn't it? (Here, H(u) represents the value of the definite integral."

Thanks!

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus problem?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that links the two branches of calculus - differential and integral calculus. It states that if a function f is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and F is the antiderivative of f, then the definite integral of f from a to b is equal to F(b)-F(a).

How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus problem used in real life?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation. For example, it can be used to calculate the area under a curve, find the velocity of an object, or determine the total cost of a production process.

What is the difference between the first and second part of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus problem?

The first part of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states the relationship between the derivative and the integral, while the second part relates the definite integral to the antiderivative of a function. In other words, the first part is about finding the derivative of an integral, while the second part is about finding the integral of a derivative.

What are the prerequisites for understanding the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus problem?

To understand the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, one must have a strong understanding of concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is also important to have a good grasp of algebra and trigonometry, as they are used extensively in calculus.

What are some common mistakes made when solving problems involving the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to take the derivative or antiderivative, not paying attention to the limits of integration, and incorrectly applying the rules of integration. It is also important to check for discontinuities and singularities in the function, which can affect the validity of the theorem.