FYP inquiries - Vertical-axis Wind Turbine

In summary: DIn summary, the conversation is about a Mechanical student's final year project on a hybrid power generator that combines solar and wind energy. The student's friend is in charge of the solar part, while the student is responsible for designing a vertical-axis wind turbine. The student is seeking guidance on where to start and someone recommends a website with extensive information on wind power. The student also asks for steps to begin the project and is advised to do research on wind power, particularly by looking into a book from 1910.
jacksonywl
Hi, I am a Mechanical student, currently at my final year so I am to do my FYP aka Final Year Project with the title of hybrid power generator (solar + wind). My friend is in charge of the solar part while I am to design a vertical-axis wind turbine.

I am clueless about from where should I start. Can anyone please guide me?

Thank you so much in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This website seems to have extensive information on wind power.

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.shtml

In particular, these plans.
http://www.otherpower.com/turbineplans.shtml

I plan to build this myself when more resources are available.

*EDIT* At the time of writing, I had no idea what a "Vertical Axis Wind Turbine" was. With some googling, I see that my links are probably not much help, although the design for the alternator may be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there. I will be sure to go through the sites you gave.

Meanwhile, I am just wondering, since I have not much experienced in building real thing, so, I want to know what are the steps I should start with. For eg, calculation? find a suitable generator 1st? find out suitable blade design? Stuff like these..

1. What is a vertical-axis wind turbine (VAWT)?

A VAWT is a type of wind turbine that has its main rotor shaft oriented vertically, parallel to the ground. This is in contrast to horizontal-axis wind turbines, which have their main rotor shaft oriented horizontally, perpendicular to the ground. VAWTs are often used in urban or small-scale settings due to their smaller size and ability to capture wind from any direction.

2. How does a VAWT work?

A VAWT works by converting the kinetic energy of the wind into mechanical energy, which is then used to power a generator and produce electricity. The rotor blades of a VAWT are shaped like airfoils and are connected to a central shaft. As the wind blows, it causes the blades to rotate, which in turn rotates the shaft and generates electricity. This electricity can then be used to power homes, buildings, or other devices.

3. What are the advantages of VAWTs compared to horizontal-axis wind turbines?

One of the main advantages of VAWTs is their ability to capture wind from any direction, making them more efficient in areas with unpredictable wind patterns. They also have a smaller footprint, making them suitable for urban or small-scale installations. Additionally, VAWTs operate at lower wind speeds and are generally quieter than horizontal-axis wind turbines, making them more suitable for residential areas.

4. What are the challenges of designing a VAWT for FYP?

Designing a VAWT for FYP can present several challenges. One of the main challenges is optimizing the design to maximize efficiency and minimize costs. This involves considering factors such as blade shape and size, rotor speed, and materials used. Another challenge is designing a VAWT that can withstand strong winds and variable weather conditions. This requires thorough testing and prototyping to ensure the turbine's durability and reliability.

5. What are some potential applications of VAWTs?

VAWTs have a wide range of potential applications, including residential and commercial electricity generation, powering off-grid locations, and providing electricity for remote or rural communities. They can also be used in combination with other renewable energy sources, such as solar panels, to create a more sustainable energy system. Additionally, VAWTs can be used for water pumping, ventilation, and other mechanical tasks.