Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gah! Help me find the word I'm thinking of!

1. May 19, 2003 #1
    Is there a long word that means seperation of church and state? I think it starts with an "A". Help! Please!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2003 #2
    My friend found one of the ones I was thinking of:

Pseudoantidisestablishmentarianism - False opposition to the withdrawl of State support from a church; Extreme opposition to the withdrawl of State supported church.

But there is another.
  4. May 19, 2003 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2003
  5. May 19, 2003 #4

Science Advisor

I'm sorry, but the site is incorrect in saying that antidisestablishmentarianism is the longest word in the Enlish language.

The longest word in my own personal vocab is "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovalcanoconiosis" (sp?), a disease which was once common to coal miners and popularly reffered to as "black lung". That might be the longest word in our language, or it may not. It's just the longest one I know.
  6. May 19, 2003 #5
    Did you check the name of that tryptophan synthetase A protein over at the The Straight Dope site?

I think it should be shortened to 'sillybillynillywilly'
  7. May 19, 2003 #6
    Anti---- isn't the longest word.

But "we" were always told that it was when "we" were younger, weren't "we"?

Anyhow, most words longer than that are medical words. Such as LURCHER exmaple.

Anywho, ZK, I don't like your attitude. If I knew the word I wouldn't tell you. But I will tell you I don't know the word.
  8. May 19, 2003 #7
    The longest world is *drum roll* SMILES! can anyone guess why?
  9. May 20, 2003 #8
    From Wiktionary:

10. May 20, 2003 #9
    That's pretty funny; give such a long name to something that nobody will ever write it, let alone try to pronounce it!
  11. May 20, 2003 #10

Staff: Mentor

Just because something has letters, doesn't mean its a word. Example:

Thats what happens when you bash your fist repeatedly against your keyboard.
  12. May 20, 2003 #11

...it has to do with the difference between a word and a name?
  13. May 20, 2003 #12
    Because there's a mile between the first and last letters.
  14. May 20, 2003 #13
    Really? Last time I did it I just ended up with a broken keyboard.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?