1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galilean Transformation

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a railcart A moves in a fixed accelaration [tex]a_1=a_1 \hat{x} [/tex] ([tex]a_1 [/tex] is relavive to earth) at moment t=0 a ball is thrown from it in the velocity [tex]v_0 [/tex] ([tex]v_0 [/tex] is relative to the railcart A) and with the angle [tex] \alpha [/tex] above the horizon. the velocity of the railcart when the ball was thrown was [tex]\vec{v_1}=v_1\hat{x}[/tex] ([tex]v_1 [/tex] is relavive to earth). (the mass of the ball is neglectable relavtively to the railcart so that the act of throwing the ball doesnt affect the railcart)
    behind railcart A moves another railcart B and on it a man. railcart B moves in a fixed accelaration [tex]a_2=a_2 \hat{x} [/tex] ([tex]a_2[/tex] is relavive to earth) the velocity of the railcart B when the ball was thrown was [tex]\vec{v_2}=v_2\hat{x}[/tex]([tex]v_2 [/tex] is relavive to earth)
    the man on railcart B sees the ball moving in a straight line. what should be [tex] \alpha [/tex] for it to happen? (you can state [tex] \alpha [/tex] as its tan([tex] \alpha [/tex])

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    for the man this is true
    [tex]\frac{v_y}{v_x}=\frac{F_y}{F_x}[/tex]
    i tried to use the galilean transformation
    but i dont seem to pull it off

this question is really hard in my opinion
    if you can give me a hand here

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2
    please can someone give me a hand here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?