Gap in fundamental knowledge of differential equations

In summary, the two equations have the same solutions when cosh and sinh are used, but the constants in the solutions are different.
oldstudent
This is a question where the answer is given but I don't understand how to derive it.

The answer to the homogeneous eq. is: A cosh(x) + B sinh(x) with no explanation of how it is arrived at and the given answer then goes on to describe how the non-homogeneous part is solved.

Diff. eq. :
d^2y/dx^2 - y = x^2

My solution:
the homogeneous eq. is: p^2 - 1 = 0
and since its the diff. of two squares the roots are +1 and -1

so my solution is; y (char) = Ae^x + Be^-x Equation 1

I know that sinh x = (e^x - e^-x)/2 & cosh x = (e^x + e^-x)/2

and I know how the complex root solutions are manipulated to give a solution in terms of the trig functions. I assumed from the aforementioned that it ought to be obvious to me how to transform Eq. 1 because the two "introductory" books I've looked at just say it's related to the eq.
d^2y/dx^2 + y = 0. I guess since it doesn't have complex roots it wouldn't have occurred to me to modify the solution further and I haven't yet "seen" how to go about it.

I would be most grateful if someone could explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both your solution and the book's solution to the homogeneous equation are correct, but the arbitary constants in the solutions are different, so it would be better to call your arbitrary constants A' and B'.

Do you see how the solutions are the same?

Since [itex]cosh x= \frac{e^x+ e^{-x}}{2}[/itex] and [itex]sinh x= \frac{e^x- e^{-x}}{2}[/itex], adding the two equations, [itex]e^x= cosh x+ sinh x[/itex], and subtracting [itex]e^{-x}= cosh x- sinh x[/itex]. If you substitute those into [itex]Ae^x+ Be^{-x}[/itex] you get the book's solution with, as George Jones said, different constants.

By the way, cosh x and sinh x have the nice property that cosh 0= 1 and sinh 0= 0. Of course (cosh x)'= sinh x and (sinh x)'= cosh x. In particular, if y(x) is a solution to that equation, then y(x)= y(0)cosh x+ y'(0)sinh x.

Many thanks to you, George and Halls of Ivy, for your help.

1. What is a gap in fundamental knowledge of differential equations?

A gap in fundamental knowledge of differential equations refers to a lack of understanding or knowledge about a specific aspect or concept of differential equations that is considered essential or fundamental. This gap may exist due to limited research, conflicting theories, or unanswered questions.

2. Why is it important to identify gaps in fundamental knowledge of differential equations?

Identifying gaps in fundamental knowledge of differential equations is important because it allows scientists to focus their research efforts on areas that require further exploration. It also helps in developing a deeper understanding of the subject and potentially leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field.

3. How are gaps in fundamental knowledge of differential equations identified?

Gaps in fundamental knowledge of differential equations can be identified through literature reviews, discussions with experts in the field, and analyzing current research trends. It is also essential to critically evaluate existing theories and models to identify any discrepancies or limitations that may indicate a gap in knowledge.

4. What are the possible consequences of a gap in fundamental knowledge of differential equations?

A gap in fundamental knowledge of differential equations can lead to limitations in understanding and predicting complex systems or phenomena. It may also hinder the development of new technologies and applications that rely on differential equations. In some cases, it may result in incorrect assumptions or conclusions being drawn from existing data.

5. How can we fill the gap in fundamental knowledge of differential equations?

Filling the gap in fundamental knowledge of differential equations requires conducting further research, experiments, and analyses. Collaboration among scientists from different disciplines can also help in approaching the problem from different perspectives and potentially leading to a breakthrough. Additionally, incorporating new technologies and computational methods can aid in understanding and solving complex differential equations.