How to Calculate Gas Cylinder Drain Time from Pressure to Atmospheric?

In summary, the time it takes for a cylinder of natural gas to fully escape through a hole in the cylinder can be calculated using the differential equation ##\frac{dP}{dt}=-k(P-P_{atm})##, where k is a constant that depends on the nozzle size. However, for a high-pressure cylinder, the flow will be choked and the mass flow rate will only depend on the initial pressure, temperature, and nozzle size. This concept should be taken into consideration when finding the time for the pressures to become effectively equalized.
Jeirn
Do you know where I can find a formula to calculate how long it would take to drain a cylinder under pressure to atmospheric pressure? if I know the volume of the cylinder and the size of the opening.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jeirn said:
Do you know where I can find a formula to calculate how long it would take to drain a cylinder under pressure to atmospheric pressure? if I know the volume of the cylinder and the size of the opening.
Are you to assume that the cylinder is insulated? Kept at constant temperature?
In principle it will take infinitely long, so you need to set a threshold at which you will regard the pressures as effectively equal.

Its a cylinder of natural gas...can you assume values and give an example of how to find time it takes for gas to fully escape through a hole in the cylinder. I know it's some kind of differential equation.

This doesn't look like homework. Should we move the thread to the ME or General Physics forum?

Update -- Moved to the ME forum.

Last edited:
Jeirn said:
Its a cylinder of natural gas...can you assume values and give an example of how to find time it takes for gas to fully escape through a hole in the cylinder. I know it's some kind of differential equation.
If we assume constant temperature, PV=nRT, with V, R and T constant. The rate of escape will be proportional to the pressure difference, P-Patm.
##\frac{dP}{dt}=-k(P-P_{atm})##, for some constant k (which will depend on the nozzle).

If the escape is rapid, the temperature will drop. This will cause the pressure to fall faster and slow the rate of loss. Let me know if you think you need that equation. It will take a bit more work.

berkeman said:
This doesn't look like homework.

It very well might be homework. I give my compressible flow classes essentially this problem as homework.

haruspex said:
If we assume constant temperature, PV=nRT, with V, R and T constant. The rate of escape will be proportional to the pressure difference, P-Patm.
##\frac{dP}{dt}=-k(P-P_{atm})##, for some constant k (which will depend on the nozzle).

Actually, this is inaccurate. For a high-pressure cylinder such as a gas bottle, the pressure ratio is such that the flow would be choked and the atmospheric pressure is irrelevant. The rate of mass leaving such a bottle will depend only on the current pressure inside the bottle, the temperature inside the bottle, and the size of the opening. The ambient pressure only becomes relevant once the pressure drops to a low enough value that the flow is no longer choked.

boneh3ad said:
Actually, this is inaccurate. For a high-pressure cylinder such as a gas bottle, the pressure ratio is such that the flow would be choked and the atmospheric pressure is irrelevant. The rate of mass leaving such a bottle will depend only on the current pressure inside the bottle, the temperature inside the bottle, and the size of the opening. The ambient pressure only becomes relevant once the pressure drops to a low enough value that the flow is no longer choked.
All you are saying there is that initially the atmospheric pressure is so low compared to the pressure in the bottle that it can be ignored. So at that stage the equation I wrote is more accurate than what you propose.
At first, the additional accuracy is unnecessary, but since the question asks for the time to become effectively equalised, the more accurate form is required later. And since the one equation handles the whole domain, there is no benefit in handling the initial stage separately.

boneh3ad said:
It very well might be homework. I give my compressible flow classes essentially this problem as homework.
Good point. Let's hold off on any more replies until @Jeirn returns to clarify the source of his question... Thanks.

haruspex said:
All you are saying there is that initially the atmospheric pressure is so low compared to the pressure in the bottle that it can be ignored. So at that stage the equation I wrote is more accurate than what you propose.
At first, the additional accuracy is unnecessary, but since the question asks for the time to become effectively equalised, the more accurate form is required later. And since the one equation handles the whole domain, there is no benefit in handling the initial stage separately.

Actually no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that, above a certain pressure ratio, the mass flow rate literally does not depend on downstream conditions. It's a concept called choked flow and is a fundamental principle of compressible gas dynamics.

A gas cylinder is typically pressurized to 3000 psia, and atmosphere is 14.7 psia. For air (as an example), the flow will remain choked the entire time between 3000 psia and about 28 psia. I must reiterate here that in a choked flow, the mass flow rate is physically and mathematically independent of downstream conditions; it isn't just an order of magnitude analysis.

I'd be happy to show you mathematically why this is, though I fear it would be counterproductive if this thread is actually a homework problem since it would be tantamount to giving OP the answer.

Somebody is not reading my replieeesss..

Thread locked until the OP sends me a PM with context.

1. When should I replace an empty gas cylinder?

The timing for replacing an empty gas cylinder depends on the specific gas being used and the rate at which it is consumed. It is important to monitor the gas pressure gauge and replace the cylinder when the pressure drops below the recommended level.

2. How can I determine the empty timing for a gas cylinder?

The empty timing for a gas cylinder can be determined by calculating the consumption rate of the gas and comparing it to the amount of gas remaining in the cylinder. This can be done by dividing the total volume of the gas in the cylinder by the flow rate of the gas.

3. What factors can affect the empty timing of a gas cylinder?

The empty timing of a gas cylinder can be affected by various factors such as the type of gas, the flow rate, the temperature and pressure of the gas, and any leaks or malfunctions in the equipment being used.

4. How often should I check the gas cylinder for empty timing?

It is recommended to check the gas cylinder for empty timing regularly, especially before starting a new experiment or project. This will ensure that there is enough gas to complete the task and avoid any interruptions or delays.

5. What should I do with an empty gas cylinder?

Empty gas cylinders should be properly labeled and returned to the supplier for refill or disposal. It is important to follow proper safety protocols when handling empty gas cylinders to avoid any accidents or hazards.