Argon vs. Helium for Window Insulation: Which is Better?

In summary, in a chemistry class report on heating houses, one aspect is the use of windows. The teacher suggests that good windows should be filled with argon due to its high specific heat. However, upon further research, it seems that the specific heat of argon is relatively low compared to helium, which is a noble gas similar to argon. This may be due to the fact that helium has 10 times more atoms in 1 kg compared to argon. Other factors to consider for insulation include thermal conductivity and the number of atoms/molecules in a substance.
Physics is Phun
We have to to a report in our chemisty class on heating houses. One aspect is the window. Our teacher says that good windows are filled with argon becuase they have a high specific heat. but looking on the internet I seem to find the specific heat of argon to be about 520 J/kgC which is relatively low, but my teacher says it is very close to Helium which is 5250 J/KgC this seems to be off by a factor of ten. Which is right? it seems that helium and argon would be close to the same as they are both noble gases and are very close on the Table, so they should share very similar properties.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Another question that may help me with this project. Why is it that our attics are not entirely filled with insulation. Since there is a layer on the floor of the attic(this is assuming the type of attic that is not meant to be lived in or have stuff stored in) why not fill the whole thing with insulation?

anyone any ideas?

I would imagine the two noble gases to be fairly different in there properties, here's a site you can go to investigate.

http://www.webelements.com

search for your noble gases

Physics is Phun said:
We have to to a report in our chemisty class on heating houses. One aspect is the window. Our teacher says that good windows are filled with argon becuase they have a high specific heat. but looking on the internet I seem to find the specific heat of argon to be about 520 J/kgC which is relatively low, but my teacher says it is very close to Helium which is 5250 J/KgC this seems to be off by a factor of ten. Which is right? it seems that helium and argon would be close to the same as they are both noble gases and are very close on the Table, so they should share very similar properties.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

I'm pretty sure He and Ar have nearly identical Cv of about 12.5 J/K-mol (ideal monoatomic gas), so I think your number for He may be wrong (I can doublecheck later to make sure). However, gases like oxygen or nitrogen will have higher specific heats (they are diatomic). So, doesn't that suggest that perhaps specific heat is not the only important property ? Can you think of any other thermal/thermodynamic properties that are important for insulation ?

Physics is Phun said:
Another question that may help me with this project. Why is it that our attics are not entirely filled with insulation. Since there is a layer on the floor of the attic(this is assuming the type of attic that is not meant to be lived in or have stuff stored in) why not fill the whole thing with insulation?

So that you can have a room there, obviously.

Physics is Phun said:

Consider the cost-benefit analysis. What would it cost, and how much would you gain over the perfectly free insulating substance filling the room already?

SHC of He: 5.19kJ/kgK
SHC of Ar: 0.523kJ/kgK

Atomic mass of He: 4.00
Atomic mass of Ar: 39.95

Number of He atoms in 1 kg: [tex]1505 \times 10^{23}[/tex]
Number of Ar atoms in 1 kg: [tex]150.7 \times 10^{23}[/tex]

There are 10 times more He atoms than Ar atoms.

Using the relationship:
Average kinetic energy of molecules = [tex]\frac{3}{2}kT[/tex]
Total KE of molecules = [tex]\frac{3}{2}NkT[/tex]

Where N = number of atoms/molecules. 10 times more He means 10 times more energy to heat them by 1K.

And another thing: gas insulated inside a window needs specific heat capacities at constant volume. These heat capacities will be lower than the ones at constant pressure.

Oops ! Didn't pay attention to the units in the OP.

The relevant units are J/K-mol, and not J/K-kg, since it's the volume of gas used that's important, not the weight.

Speed said:
SHC of He: 5.19kJ/kgK
SHC of Ar: 0.523kJ/kgK

Atomic mass of He: 4.00
Atomic mass of Ar: 39.95

Number of He atoms in 1 kg: [tex]1505 \times 10^{23}[/tex]
Number of Ar atoms in 1 kg: [tex]150.7 \times 10^{23}[/tex]

There are 10 times more He atoms than Ar atoms.

Using the relationship:
Average kinetic energy of molecules = [tex]\frac{3}{2}kT[/tex]
Total KE of molecules = [tex]\frac{3}{2}NkT[/tex]
Taking this one step further, to its natural conclusion :

[tex]E = \frac{3}{2}NkT[/tex]

[tex]C = \frac {\partial E}{\partial T} = \frac{3}{2}Nk = \frac{3}{2} R = 1.5 * 8.315 \approx 12.5~J/K-mol [/tex]

Of course, this is for a monoatomic ideal gas.

Also, using argon is much more practical because 1) it's relatively common (compared to helium) and 2) helium leaks very easily (small atoms).

Gokul43201 said:
I'm pretty sure He and Ar have nearly identical Cv of about 12.5 J/K-mol (ideal monoatomic gas), so I think your number for He may be wrong (I can doublecheck later to make sure). However, gases like oxygen or nitrogen will have higher specific heats (they are diatomic). So, doesn't that suggest that perhaps specific heat is not the only important property ? Can you think of any other thermal/thermodynamic properties that are important for insulation ?

C'mon folks --- pay attention! Does Gokul have to tie the hint to a brick and drop it on your toes? Heat capacities of gases at one atmosphere are trivial compared to the heat capacities of the panes confining them. Think insulation, think heat flow, think thermal conductivity. Think inversely proportional to molecular weight (sq. rt.), rms speed --- kapiche?

Physics is Phun said:
...Our teacher says that good windows are filled with argon becuase they have a high specific heat...
I think what he really MEANT was that they should have low thermal conductivity. A high sp. heat will result in something of a thermal "flywheel" effect, which can smooth out temperature variations (log cabins are really good in this respect). But a window isn't massive enough to make much difference. On the other hand, windows are the major cause of heat loss (or gain in the summer) in a room, and the greater the insulating value of a window (low thermal conduction), the better.

Related to Argon vs. Helium for Window Insulation: Which is Better?

What is Argon and Helium?

Argon and Helium are both inert gases that are commonly used as insulating agents in windows. They are both colorless, odorless, and non-toxic.

What is the difference between Argon and Helium?

The main difference between Argon and Helium is their atomic weight and density. Argon has a higher atomic weight and density, making it a more effective insulator than Helium. Additionally, Argon is more abundant and therefore less expensive than Helium.

Which gas is more commonly used for window insulation?

Argon is the most commonly used gas for window insulation, as it is more efficient and cost-effective than Helium. It is estimated that over 90% of insulated windows use Argon as the insulating gas.

What are the benefits of using Argon or Helium for window insulation?

Both Argon and Helium have low thermal conductivity, which means they help to reduce heat transfer through the window. This can lead to improved energy efficiency and lower heating and cooling costs. Additionally, these gases can also help to reduce noise transmission and condensation on the window.

Are there any drawbacks to using Argon or Helium for window insulation?

One potential drawback of using Argon or Helium for window insulation is the risk of leakage. While these gases are non-toxic, they can displace oxygen in a confined space and create a potential safety hazard. It is important to ensure that the windows are properly sealed to prevent any leakage.