How Does Temperature Affect Gas Pressure in a Sealed Cylinder?

In summary, a gas is confined to a steel cylinder at 20 degrees Celsius and at a pressure of 5 atmospheres. If the cylinder is surrounded by boiling water, the pressure is greatly increased. If the gas is then allowed to escape until the pressure is again 5 atmospheres, only 0.87987 of the original gas will escape. Finally, if the temperature of the remaining gas in the cylinder is returned to 20 degrees Celsius, the final pressure will be 4.3999 atmospheres.
shaiqbashir
Hi Guys!

please help me in this problem. and also tell me the correct answer which u have calculated. the prob is as under:

"A gas is confined in a steel cylinder at 20 degree celcius and at a pressure of 5 atm.

a) if the cylinder is surrounded by boiling water and allowed to come to the thermal equilibrium, how great will the gas pressure be?

b) if the gas is then allowed tp escape until the pressure is again 5 atm, what fraction of the original gas (by weight) will escape?

c) if the temperature of the remaining gas in the cylinder is returned to 20 degree celsius, what will be its final pressure?"

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
A student must show some work. Assuming 1 atm of pressure for the boiling water - at what temperature will the water be when boiling?

Then a) adjust the pressure from 20°C to the water boiling temperature (don't forget to use absolute temperatures).

Hint: PV = nRT, so at constant volume P1/T1=P2/T2.

Refer to - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/idegas.html#c1 - and read the frames.

Last edited:
Astronuc that is what i have solved too!
but i want help in (b) and (c) parts where we have to find weight. This is the real problem for me!

Pressure and volume are inversly propotional to each other. if the gas escapes, it means its volume decreases so why the pressure is also decreasing> Please explain me the scenario in detail

b) if the gas is then allowed tp escape until the pressure is again 5 atm, what fraction of the original gas (by weight) will escape?

what means tp escape?

You already know initial pressure in this case from question a, right? Then you need to find what the portion of the gas will occupy the cylinder after pressure drop to P2=5atm

P1V1=P2V2 V2 is the tank volume and V1 is what you need to find.

Pressure decrease because PV=constant. V1 doesn't equal to V2.

c) if the temperature of the remaining gas in the cylinder is returned to 20 degree celsius, what will be its final pressure?"

P2V2=RT2
P3V2=RT3 find P3

Thanks a lot Rocketa! now i understood the question just tell me if i have made it correctly.

The answer of (b) part is

V1=0.87987V2

and the answer of (c) part is

P3=4.3999 atm aprrrox..

Thanks a lot in advance

1. What is gas pressure?

Gas pressure is the force exerted by gas molecules on the walls of a container. It is caused by the collisions of the gas molecules with each other and with the walls of the container.

2. How do you solve gas pressure problems?

To solve gas pressure problems, you need to use the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas and the absolute temperature. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the unknown variable.

3. What units are used to measure gas pressure?

The SI unit for gas pressure is pascal (Pa), but other common units include atmospheres (atm), millimeters of mercury (mmHg), and pounds per square inch (psi).

4. What are some common mistakes when solving gas pressure problems?

Some common mistakes when solving gas pressure problems include not converting units correctly, forgetting to use the correct gas constant for the given units, and not taking into account the units of the final answer.

5. How does temperature affect gas pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, the volume of a gas also increases, which leads to an increase in gas pressure. The opposite is true for a decrease in temperature.