Gauss' Law: Charge enclosed zero = E field zero?

In summary: This would result in a net flux of zero through the surface, indicating a zero net charge enclosed and therefore a zero electric field at the point P.
AKJ1

Homework Statement

A cylindrical shell of radius R and length H has its charge uniformly distributed on its curved surface

Find the electric field at a point P from the axis, a distance r away, measured radially outward from the midpoint of the shell such that R>r

Homework Equations

φ = ∫E⋅dA = Qenc / ∈o

The Attempt at a Solution

I constructed a gaussian surface (cylinder) inside the larger cylinder of radius R.

I realize, my chosen gaussian surface encloses no charge ∴ φ & Qenc are both zero.

I have been told I am not allowed to simply jump and say the E field must also then be zero if the flux is zero, but for this case, since the charge on the outer cylinder is uniformly distributed, does that also mean the net electric field at point P must be zero?

If not, please shed some light on this!

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
AKJ1 said:

Homework Statement

A cylindrical shell of radius R and length H has its charge uniformly distributed on its curved surface

Find the electric field at a point P from the axis, a distance r away, measured radially outward from the midpoint of the shell such that R>r

Homework Equations

φ = ∫E⋅dA = Qenc / ∈o

The Attempt at a Solution

I constructed a gaussian surface (cylinder) inside the larger cylinder of radius R.

I realize, my chosen gaussian surface encloses no charge ∴ φ & Qenc are both zero.

I have been told I am not allowed to simply jump and say the E field must also then be zero if the flux is zero, but for this case, since the charge on the outer cylinder is uniformly distributed, does that also mean the net electric field at point P must be zero?

If not, please shed some light on this!

Thank you
Is there sufficient symmetry to conclude that the field is zero everywhere inside to charge distribution?

SammyS said:
Is there sufficient symmetry to conclude that the field is zero everywhere inside to charge distribution?

Yes.

I think that answers my question, so then, we should be examining at the symmetry of the chosen surface with respect to the original surface.

AKJ1 said:
Yes.

I think that answers my question, so then, we should be examining at the symmetry of the chosen surface with respect to the original surface.
It also has a lot to do with what symmetry implies regarding the electric field and whether you an find a surface so the field is normal to the surface over regions where the field's magnitude is constant and in all other regions the field is parallel to the surface.

What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charge and electric fields. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed electric charge.

How is Gauss' Law related to charge enclosed and electric field?

Gauss' Law states that when there is no charge enclosed within a closed surface, the electric field within that surface is zero. This means that the electric field is directly proportional to the charge enclosed within the surface.

What does it mean for the electric field to be zero within a closed surface?

If the electric field within a closed surface is zero, it means that there is no net flow of electric field lines through that surface. This can occur when there is no charge enclosed within the surface or when the charges within the surface are evenly distributed.

Can Gauss' Law be used to calculate the electric field for any charge distribution?

Gauss' Law can be used to calculate the electric field for any charge distribution, as long as the distribution is symmetric. This means that the charges are evenly distributed and the electric field is the same at all points on the surface of the closed surface.

Does Gauss' Law apply to both charges and currents?

Gauss' Law applies to electric charges and their associated electric fields. It does not apply to electric currents, which are described by a separate law known as Ampere's Law. However, in some cases, Gauss' Law can be used in conjunction with Ampere's Law to calculate the magnetic field generated by a current.