Gauss' Law vector form problem

In summary, the electric field on the x-axis at (i) x = 2.00m is 190.6 Nc-1 and at (ii) x = 4.00m is 241.2 Nc-1.
squeak

Homework Statement

(a) A spherical insulating shell of radius R = 3.00 m has its centre at the origin and carries a surface charge density σ = 3.00 nC/m2. Use Gauss’s law to find the electric field on the x-axis at (i) x = 2.00m and (ii) x = 4.00 m. Give you answers in the vector form.

(b) A point charge q = 250 nC is added to the y-axis at y = 2.00 m. Determine the new values of electric field at positions (i) and (ii). Give you answers in the vector form.

Homework Equations

∫|E|dA = Q/ε0
σ = Q/4πr2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've done the first one my sing a simple gaussian surface arriving at 0 electric field at x = 2.00 as inside the hollow sphere and E = σR20r2 = 190.6 Nc-1 i

However for part b i get confused as I'm not sure as to wether the charge not being in the centre affects it due to the distribution changing.
Currently I'm thinking that when x = 2.0m you create a gaussian surface where r=R and the charge enclosed is only that of q. For x = 4 could you do the same as before except the charge enclosed is now σrπR2 + q. That is what i would do if the additional charge was at the origin but as it is not i don't know how to take this into account.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part seems correct to me.
For the second part you're can only use Gauss's law to determine the ##E-##field when you know the direction of the ##E## field. This is only possible when you have certain perfect symmetries (spherical, infinite plane, infinite cylinder symmetry) which isn't true unless the charge is at the centre. However luckily the ##E## fields obey the superposition principle. So The total field at a point ##r## is simply ##E(r) = E_1(r) + E_2(r)## if you have fields from two charge distributions.

Likes TSny
Incand said:
The first part seems correct to me.
For the second part you're can only use Gauss's law to determine the ##E-##field when you know the direction of the ##E## field. This is only possible when you have certain perfect symmetries (spherical, infinite plane, infinite cylinder symmetry) which isn't true unless the charge is at the centre. However luckily the ##E## fields obey the superposition principle. So The total field at a point ##r## is simply ##E(r) = E_1(r) + E_2(r)## if you have fields from two charge distributions.

So could i just find the electric field of the point charge using kq/r2 and add it to the electric field found by using Gauss law?

squeak said:
So could i just find the electric field of the point charge using kq/r2 and add it to the electric field found by using Gauss law?
Yes but remember the fields also have a direction each so you would have to do vector addition.

I often get the vector part wrong - so for when x = 4m would E due to q = kq/r2 where r = √(22+42) but that would be in-between the x/y directions. Would I then resolve this is the x direction by taking Esin(θ) where θ=arctan(4/2). And to this term i finally add the field gained in part 1).

Involving the trigonometric functions works but is unnecessarily complicated imo. The direction of ##r## is simply ##\hat r## which just is the normed position vector (which you already know in Cartesian coordinates). Drawing a figure often helps when figuring out the direction as well if you are uncertain.

Likes squeak
Incand said:
Involving the trigonometric functions works but is unnecessarily complicated imo. The direction of ##r## is simply ##\hat r## which just is the normed position vector (which you already know in Cartesian coordinates). Drawing a figure often helps when figuring out the direction as well if you are uncertain.
Thanks! I'll try and do it that way as i think that's the way we're supposed to! Thank you so much for all of your help.

What is Gauss' Law in vector form?

Gauss' Law in vector form is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the net electric charge enclosed within that surface. It is a mathematical formulation of one of Maxwell's equations.

How is Gauss' Law in vector form different from the integral form?

Gauss' Law in vector form is a differential equation, while the integral form is an integral equation. The vector form is useful for solving problems in which the charge distribution is known, while the integral form is useful for solving problems in which the electric field is known.

What is the significance of the divergence theorem in Gauss' Law vector form?

The divergence theorem allows us to convert a surface integral to a volume integral, making it easier to apply Gauss' Law in vector form to real-world problems. It states that the flux through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume.

How is Gauss' Law in vector form used in practical applications?

Gauss' Law in vector form is used to calculate the electric field at a point due to a known charge distribution. This is especially useful in designing and analyzing electric circuits, as well as in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

What are some common mistakes made when solving Gauss' Law vector form problems?

Some common mistakes include not properly defining the closed surface, not considering the direction of the electric field, and not properly taking into account the symmetry of the problem. It is also important to ensure that the units of charge, electric field, and surface area are consistent throughout the calculation.