Solving Gaussian Elimination Homework

In summary: Yes, I see that now. So, the first row of c is 0, the first row of b is F1, and the first row of A is -1.Hi.I know it dosen't have F's. Just did it because I thought it would better illustrate what I meant. I honestly don't know where you got the 17 numbers from. From what I see, it should be 17 rows down, and each rown has about 3-4 numbers.
XodoX

Homework Statement

http://img189.imageshack.us/i/50468910.png/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm wondering how I do this? I don't really know. Supposed to be 17 rows. How many columns and how many each row? No clue! And how do I get the numbers for the matrix here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi XodoX! :smile:
XodoX said:
I'm wondering how I do this? I don't really know. Supposed to be 17 rows. How many columns and how many each row? No clue! And how do I get the numbers for the matrix here?

The question says "the matrix A and b to have 17 rows" …

well, if Ab makes sense, that means A must have 17 columns, doesn't it? :wink:

(And there's 17 equations given so it's one row for each equation.)

Oh, ok. I thought one row for each joint. So, the first row would be -1, +1, +1 , which would be A, and 0 would be b. Is that correct?

Also, line # 4 says : F=f3-10=0 I suppose I have to move the 10 here, because all the other rows don't have numbers in them.

Last edited:
Hi XodoX! :wink:
XodoX said:
Oh, ok. I thought one row for each joint. So, the first row would be -1, +1, +1 , which would be A, and 0 would be b. Is that correct?

Also, line # 4 says : F=f3-10=0 I suppose I have to move the 10 here, because all the other rows don't have numbers in them.

No, your equation is Ab = c, where b is (f1,…f17), and c contains all the 0s and 10s and 15.

So the first row is … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi XodoX! :wink:No, your equation is Ab = c, where b is (f1,…f17), and c contains all the 0s and 10s and 15.

So the first row is … ? :smile:
Sorry, I don't get it. I thought each equation is one row.. F1, F4, and F5 in the first row. If that's not it, I don't get it then. -F1 + F4 + F5 =0

XodoX said:
Sorry, I don't get it. I thought each equation is one row.. F1, F4, and F5 in the first row.

Yes, but there's 17 numbers in the first row (and every row), not just 3. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, but there's 17 numbers in the first row (and every row), not just 3. :smile:

But it says it has 17 rows, so I figured it must be the F values and numbers of each line for each row.

1. row -F1 + F4 + F5=0

2. row -F1 - F3 - F5 = 0

etc. :confused:

(just got up :zzz: …)

No, the matrix A (and the vector c) only has numbers, not Fs … the Fs are only in the vector b.

For example, the first row of A is (-1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0). :wink:

(and so -F1 + F4 + F5 is the first row of the vector Ab, which has to be equal to the first row of the vector c, which of course is 0)

tiny-tim said:

(just got up :zzz: …)

No, the matrix A (and the vector c) only has numbers, not Fs … the Fs are only in the vector b.

For example, the first row of A is (-1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0). :wink:

(and so -F1 + F4 + F5 is the first row of the vector Ab, which has to be equal to the first row of the vector c, which of course is 0)

Hi.

I know it dosen't have F's. Just did it because I thought it would better illustrate what I meant. I honestly don't know where you got the 17 numbers from. From what I see, it should be 17 rows down, and each rown has about 3-4 numbers. I understand that row 1 is -F1 + F4 + F5 and then the 0. But that's just 4 numbers and not 17 for this particular row.:confused: Sorry, I don't know why this seems so difficult. It's actually not.

Each row of A, when multiplied by b, gives you the LHS of one of the equations.

For example, the row I gave you, multiplied by b = (F1, … F17), gives you the LHS of equation #1 …

I don't understand why you don't see that. :confused:

What's there to multiply b ? b is 0 there. It's already on the right side of the equation. Why would I even multiply by b?

I don't think we're talking about the same thing :confused:

I'm talking about an equation Ab = c,

where A is a matrix with numbers (mostly 0), b is the vector (F1, …F17), and c is a vector with 0s 10s and 15s

What is Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination is a method used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the system into an equivalent system with a triangular coefficient matrix, which can then be easily solved.

Why is Gaussian Elimination important?

Gaussian Elimination is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations efficiently and accurately. It is also the basis for more advanced methods of solving equations, such as LU decomposition and matrix inversion.

What are the steps involved in Gaussian Elimination?

The steps involved in Gaussian Elimination are:
1. Writing the system of equations in matrix form
2. Using elementary row operations to create a triangular coefficient matrix
3. Solving the triangular system using back substitution
4. Checking the solution by substituting it back into the original equations

How do I know if a system of equations has a unique solution using Gaussian Elimination?

A system of equations has a unique solution if the coefficient matrix after Gaussian Elimination has no zero rows and the number of unknowns is equal to the number of non-zero rows in the matrix. If these conditions are not met, the system may have no solution or infinitely many solutions.

Can I use Gaussian Elimination to solve any system of linear equations?

Yes, Gaussian Elimination can be used to solve any system of linear equations. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for more complex systems, in which case other methods like LU decomposition may be preferred.