Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian function to derive Heisenberg's uncertainty principle

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    At our QM intro our professor said that we derive uncertainty principle using the integral of plane waves ##\psi = \psi_0(k) e^{i(kx - \omega t)}## over wave numbers ##k##. We do it at ##t=0## hence ##\psi = \psi_0(k) e^{ikx}##

[itex]
    \psi = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_0\!(k) \cdot e^{ikx} \, \textrm{d} k
    [/itex]

where ##\psi_0(k)## is a ##k##-dependent normalisation factor (please correct me if I am wrong). This dependency was said to be a Gaussian function

[itex]
    \psi_0(k)= \psi_0 e^{i(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma k^2}
    [/itex]

where ##\psi_0## is an ordinary normalisation factor (please correct me if I am wrong).

QUESTION 1: Why do we choose ##\psi_0(k)## as a gauss function? Why is this function so appropriate in this case?

QUESTION 2: I don't know how did our professor get a gauss function with an imagnary number ##i## in it. His gauss is nothing like the one on Wikipedia which is

[itex]
    f(x) = a e^{-(x-b)^2/2c^2}
    [/itex]

QUESTION 3: We used the first integral i wrote down to calculate the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle like shown below, but it seems to me that most of the steps are missing and this is the reason i don't understand this. Could anyone explain to me step by step how to do this.

[itex]
    \begin{split}
    \psi &= \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_0\!(k) \cdot e^{ikx} \, \textrm{d} k\\
    \psi &= \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_0 e^{i(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma k^2} \cdot e^{ikx} \, \textrm{d} k\\
    \psi &= \psi_0 2 \sqrt{\pi} e^{ik_0x} e^{-x/2 \sigma k^2}
    \end{split}
    [/itex]

I think this is connected to a Gaussian integral, but it doesn't look quite like it to me. Well in the end our professor just says that out of the above it follows that

[itex]
    \boxed{\delta x \delta k = \frac{1}{2}}
    [/itex]

I don't understand this neither. It was way too fast or me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

1 and 2: This choice gives something which looks like a moving particle. Without a careful choice of ##\psi(k)##, you get some wave spread out over the whole space.

It is one. You can combine those two exponentials to a single one, make a linear substitution and get the gaussian integral. Are you sure that the last exponent in the last line has just an x there?

For δxδk >> 1/2, the last exponential function should vanish, so you get a significant wave only if the product δxδk is small. A better analysis would give that factor of 1/2.

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    uncertainty product is minimum for gaussian wave packet.the inequality becomes the equality.

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4
    So what does this mean our professor was wrong? Could please someone show a correct derivation f possible using equations.

Do you mean this one?

[itex]
    \begin{split}
    \psi &= \psi_0 2 \sqrt{\pi} e^{ik_0x} e^{-x/2 \sigma k^2}
    \end{split}
    [/itex]

Thats how our professor did this. Was he wrong? I am totaly confused.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. Feb 24, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

I'm not sure, but the equation looks not as I would expect it.

7. Feb 24, 2013 #6
    I think my professor was wrong so please tell me how would you expect the equation to be.

8. Feb 24, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

It is better if you look for a quantum mechanics book with a proper derivation of the uncertainty for a gaussian wave packet.

9. Feb 24, 2013 #8
    Well i am quite weak in mathematics. Is there any nice book suited for me?

10. Feb 24, 2013 #9

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

The HUP is a property of the Fourier Transformation and applies to every pair f(x), g(p) where g is the FT of f.

Four Gausssian wave pakets the product Δx Δp is minimized.

But of course one cannot derive the HUP in general based on a special choice of functions.

11. Feb 24, 2013 #10
    Could you provide such a case and derivaton for HUP?

12. Feb 24, 2013 #11

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Try this derivation which does not use Fourier transform at all but only "algebraic" formulas applied to Hilbert space vectors

13. Feb 25, 2013 #12
    In the case of a special wave function as the given gaussian one,one can do get a relation by exploiting the definition of Δx and Δp as
    Δx=√(<x2>-<x>2) and similarly for Δp.After that one can employ
    <x2>=∫ψ*x2ψ dx(in case of noramalized ψ)
    one can evaluate <x2>,<x>,<p>,<p2> by this using first quantized form for momentum operator i.e. while evaluating integral of p2,put -d2/dx2.then one can evaluate Δx and Δp and product of it will give h-/2
    p=h-k,gives ΔxΔp=1/2.

14. Feb 25, 2013 #13

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here's an answer: Define

[itex](\delta x)^2[/itex] = [itex]\langle(x - \langle x \rangle)^2\rangle[/itex]
    [itex](\delta p)^2[/itex] = [itex]\langle(p - \langle p \rangle)^2\rangle[/itex]

where [itex]\langle A \rangle = \int \psi^{*}(x) A \psi(x) dx[/itex]

Then we can prove (using the calculus of variations) that the [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] that minimizes [itex]\delta x \delta p[/itex] is a Gaussian.

15. Feb 25, 2013 #14

jtbell

I think the second equation should be

$$\psi_0(k) = \psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma^2}$$

with a "-" sign instead of an "i" in the exponent, and no "k" in the denominator. That "k" could be a subscript:

$$\psi_0(k) = \psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma_k^2}$$

which would be appropriate because ##\sigma## or ##\sigma_k## is the standard deviation of k.

16. Feb 25, 2013 #15
    I think that our professor was lecturing by using this document where they used a suare root of a gauss so this is where he got ##\psi_0(k)##:

[itex]
    \psi_0(k)= \sqrt{gauss} = \sqrt{\psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/2\sigma_k^2}} = \psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma_k^2}
    [/itex]

My question is Why do we take a square root of a gauss?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  17. Feb 25, 2013 #16
    Our professor did a mistake. You are right! Please take a look at my previous post.

18. Feb 25, 2013 #17

jtbell

As you probably know already, ##\psi(x)## is the probability amplitude for x, which we "complex-square" to get the probability distribution for x: ##P(x) = |\psi(x)|^2##.

Similarly, your ##\psi_0(k)## is the probability amplitude for k, which we "complex-square" to get the probability distribution for k: ##P_k(k) = |\psi_0(k)|^2##.

I suspect that your professor wants to make ##P_k(k)## a Gaussian with standard deviation ##\sigma_k##. Some books do it the other way, i.e. they make ##\psi_0(k)## a Gaussian with standard deviation ##\sigma_k##.

19. Feb 25, 2013 #18
    In the link i provided earlier for example they do both (##\psi_0(k)## as well as ##\psi_0(x)##) a standard deviation - Gauss. Why is that so?

20. Feb 26, 2013 #19
    it is much easier than this.The schwarz inequality becomes an equality when the two function f and g used are in relation f=λg,where λ is a constant.Also f and g are most appropriately chosen as for deriving uncertainty principle
    f=-ih-∂ψ/∂x,g=ixψ,the condition f=λg does give a gaussian function.

21. Feb 26, 2013 #20
    But i am weak in math and Fourier is more suiable for me. I hae no clue about Schwarz inequaity... Could anyone provide a clean derivation of uncertainty principle using gauss wave packet together with Fourier?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook