Gaussian function to derive Heisenberg's uncertainty principle

In summary, the Gaussian function is a mathematical function used to describe the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. It is commonly used in statistics and physics, including in the derivation of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. This principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be measured simultaneously with perfect accuracy. The Gaussian function helps to illustrate this by showing that the uncertainty in position and momentum are inversely proportional to each other. Essentially, the more precisely we know one of these variables, the less precisely we can know the other. This principle has significant implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.
71GA
At our QM intro our professor said that we derive uncertainty principle using the integral of plane waves ##\psi = \psi_0(k) e^{i(kx - \omega t)}## over wave numbers ##k##. We do it at ##t=0## hence ##\psi = \psi_0(k) e^{ikx}##

[itex]
\psi = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_0\!(k) \cdot e^{ikx} \, \textrm{d} k
[/itex]

where ##\psi_0(k)## is a ##k##-dependent normalisation factor (please correct me if I am wrong). This dependency was said to be a Gaussian function

[itex]
\psi_0(k)= \psi_0 e^{i(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma k^2}
[/itex]

where ##\psi_0## is an ordinary normalisation factor (please correct me if I am wrong).

QUESTION 1: Why do we choose ##\psi_0(k)## as a gauss function? Why is this function so appropriate in this case?

QUESTION 2: I don't know how did our professor get a gauss function with an imagnary number ##i## in it. His gauss is nothing like the one on Wikipedia which is

[itex]
f(x) = a e^{-(x-b)^2/2c^2}
[/itex]

QUESTION 3: We used the first integral i wrote down to calculate the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle like shown below, but it seems to me that most of the steps are missing and this is the reason i don't understand this. Could anyone explain to me step by step how to do this.

[itex]
\begin{split}
\psi &= \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_0\!(k) \cdot e^{ikx} \, \textrm{d} k\\
\psi &= \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_0 e^{i(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma k^2} \cdot e^{ikx} \, \textrm{d} k\\
\psi &= \psi_0 2 \sqrt{\pi} e^{ik_0x} e^{-x/2 \sigma k^2}
\end{split}
[/itex]

I think this is connected to a Gaussian integral, but it doesn't look quite like it to me. Well in the end our professor just says that out of the above it follows that

[itex]
\boxed{\delta x \delta k = \frac{1}{2}}
[/itex]

I don't understand this neither. It was way too fast or me.

Physics news on Phys.org
71GA said:
QUESTION 1: Why do we choose ##\psi_0(k)## as a gauss function? Why is this function so appropriate in this case?

QUESTION 2: I don't know how did our professor get a gauss function with an imagnary number ##i## in it. His gauss is nothing like the one on Wikipedia which is

[itex]
f(x) = a e^{-(x-b)^2/2c^2}
[/itex]
1 and 2: This choice gives something which looks like a moving particle. Without a careful choice of ##\psi(k)##, you get some wave spread out over the whole space.

QUESTION 3: We used the first integral i wrote down to calculate the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle like shown below, but it seems to me that most of the steps are missing and this is the reason i don't understand this. Could anyone explain to me step by step how to do this.

[...]

I think this is connected to a Gaussian integral, but it doesn't look quite like it to me.
It is one. You can combine those two exponentials to a single one, make a linear substitution and get the gaussian integral. Are you sure that the last exponent in the last line has just an x there?

Well in the end our professor just says that out of the above it follows that

[itex]
\boxed{\delta x \delta k = \frac{1}{2}}
[/itex]
For δxδk >> 1/2, the last exponential function should vanish, so you get a significant wave only if the product δxδk is small. A better analysis would give that factor of 1/2.

uncertainty product is minimum for gaussian wave packet.the inequality becomes the equality.

mfb said:
For δxδk >> 1/2, the last exponential function should vanish

So what does this mean our professor was wrong? Could please someone show a correct derivation f possible using equations.

mfb said:
Are you sure that the last exponent in the last line has just an x there?

Do you mean this one?

[itex]
\begin{split}
\psi &= \psi_0 2 \sqrt{\pi} e^{ik_0x} e^{-x/2 \sigma k^2}
\end{split}
[/itex]

Thats how our professor did this. Was he wrong? I am totaly confused.

Last edited:
71GA said:
Thats how our professor did this. Was he wrong? I am totaly confused.
I'm not sure, but the equation looks not as I would expect it.

mfb said:
I'm not sure, but the equation looks not as I would expect it.
I think my professor was wrong so please tell me how would you expect the equation to be.

It is better if you look for a quantum mechanics book with a proper derivation of the uncertainty for a gaussian wave packet.

mfb said:
It is better if you look for a quantum mechanics book with a proper derivation of the uncertainty for a gaussian wave packet.

Well i am quite weak in mathematics. Is there any nice book suited for me?

The HUP is a property of the Fourier Transformation and applies to every pair f(x), g(p) where g is the FT of f.

Four Gausssian wave pakets the product Δx Δp is minimized.

But of course one cannot derive the HUP in general based on a special choice of functions.

tom.stoer said:
The HUP is a property of the Fourier Transformation and applies to every pair f(x), g(p) where g is the FT of f.

Four Gausssian wave pakets the product Δx Δp is minimized.

But of course one cannot derive the HUP in general based on a special choice of functions.

Could you provide such a case and derivaton for HUP?

Try this derivation which does not use Fourier transform at all but only "algebraic" formulas applied to Hilbert space vectors

In the case of a special wave function as the given gaussian one,one can do get a relation by exploiting the definition of Δx and Δp as
Δx=√(<x2>-<x>2) and similarly for Δp.After that one can employ
<x2>=∫ψ*x2ψ dx(in case of noramalized ψ)
one can evaluate <x2>,<x>,<p>,<p2> by this using first quantized form for momentum operator i.e. while evaluating integral of p2,put -d2/dx2.then one can evaluate Δx and Δp and product of it will give h-/2
p=h-k,gives ΔxΔp=1/2.

71GA said:

Here's an answer: Define

[itex](\delta x)^2[/itex] = [itex]\langle(x - \langle x \rangle)^2\rangle[/itex]
[itex](\delta p)^2[/itex] = [itex]\langle(p - \langle p \rangle)^2\rangle[/itex]

where [itex]\langle A \rangle = \int \psi^{*}(x) A \psi(x) dx[/itex]

Then we can prove (using the calculus of variations) that the [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] that minimizes [itex]\delta x \delta p[/itex] is a Gaussian.

71GA said:
[itex]
\psi = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_0\!(k) \cdot e^{ikx} \, \textrm{d} k
[/itex]

where ##\psi_0(k)## is a ##k##-dependent normalisation factor (please correct me if I am wrong). This dependency was said to be a Gaussian function

[itex]
\psi_0(k)= \psi_0 e^{i(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma k^2}
[/itex]

I think the second equation should be

$$\psi_0(k) = \psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma^2}$$

with a "-" sign instead of an "i" in the exponent, and no "k" in the denominator. That "k" could be a subscript:

$$\psi_0(k) = \psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma_k^2}$$

which would be appropriate because ##\sigma## or ##\sigma_k## is the standard deviation of k.

tom.stoer said:
Try this derivation which does not use Fourier transform at all but only "algebraic" formulas applied to Hilbert space vectors

I think that our professor was lecturing by using this document where they used a suare root of a gauss so this is where he got ##\psi_0(k)##:

[itex]
\psi_0(k)= \sqrt{gauss} = \sqrt{\psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/2\sigma_k^2}} = \psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma_k^2}
[/itex]

My question is Why do we take a square root of a gauss?

Last edited:
jtbell said:
I think the second equation should be

$$\psi_0(k) = \psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma^2}$$

with a "-" sign instead of an "i" in the exponent, and no "k" in the denominator. That "k" could be a subscript:

$$\psi_0(k) = \psi_0 e^{-(k-k_0)^2/4\sigma_k^2}$$

which would be appropriate because ##\sigma## or ##\sigma_k## is the standard deviation of k.

Our professor did a mistake. You are right! Please take a look at my previous post.

71GA said:
Why do we take a square root of a gauss?

As you probably know already, ##\psi(x)## is the probability amplitude for x, which we "complex-square" to get the probability distribution for x: ##P(x) = |\psi(x)|^2##.

Similarly, your ##\psi_0(k)## is the probability amplitude for k, which we "complex-square" to get the probability distribution for k: ##P_k(k) = |\psi_0(k)|^2##.

I suspect that your professor wants to make ##P_k(k)## a Gaussian with standard deviation ##\sigma_k##. Some books do it the other way, i.e. they make ##\psi_0(k)## a Gaussian with standard deviation ##\sigma_k##.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
As you probably know already, ##\psi(x)## is the probability amplitude for x, which we "complex-square" to get the probability distribution for x: ##P(x) = |\psi(x)|^2##.

Similarly, your ##\psi_0(k)## is the probability amplitude for k, which we "complex-square" to get the probability distribution for k: ##P_k(k) = |\psi_0(k)|^2##.

I suspect that your professor wants to make ##P_k(k)## a Gaussian with standard deviation ##\sigma_k##. Some books do it the other way, i.e. they make ##\psi_0(k)## a Gaussian with standard deviation ##\sigma_k##.

In the link i provided earlier for example they do both (##\psi_0(k)## as well as ##\psi_0(x)##) a standard deviation - Gauss. Why is that so?

Last edited:
stevendaryl said:
Here's an answer: Define

[itex](\delta x)^2[/itex] = [itex]\langle(x - \langle x \rangle)^2\rangle[/itex]
[itex](\delta p)^2[/itex] = [itex]\langle(p - \langle p \rangle)^2\rangle[/itex]

where [itex]\langle A \rangle = \int \psi^{*}(x) A \psi(x) dx[/itex]

Then we can prove (using the calculus of variations) that the [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] that minimizes [itex]\delta x \delta p[/itex] is a Gaussian.
it is much easier than this.The schwarz inequality becomes an equality when the two function f and g used are in relation f=λg,where λ is a constant.Also f and g are most appropriately chosen as for deriving uncertainty principle
f=-ih-∂ψ/∂x,g=ixψ,the condition f=λg does give a gaussian function.

andrien said:
it is much easier than this
But i am weak in math and Fourier is more suiable for me. I hae no clue about Schwarz inequaity... Could anyone provide a clean derivation of uncertainty principle using gauss wave packet together with Fourier?

1. What is a Gaussian function?

A Gaussian function, also known as a normal distribution, is a mathematical function that describes a bell-shaped curve. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena that have a symmetrical distribution around a central value.

2. How is the Gaussian function used to derive Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The Gaussian function is used to describe the probability distribution of a particle's position and momentum. By applying the Fourier transform to this function, the uncertainty principle can be derived, showing the trade-off between the precision of measuring position and momentum.

3. Can the Gaussian function be applied to all physical systems?

No, the Gaussian function is limited to systems that have a symmetrical distribution around a central value. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles.

4. Is the Gaussian function the only way to derive Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

No, there are other mathematical approaches that can be used to derive the uncertainty principle, such as the wave function approach and the commutation relation approach. However, the Gaussian function is one of the most commonly used methods.

5. What is the significance of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states the inherent uncertainty in measuring certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, of a particle. It has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.