Finding the Value of b in Gauss's Law Charge Problem

In summary: You're trying to integrate over the y-z plane to determine b. That's correct. Thanks for catching that.In summary, to solve for b in the homework statement, you need to integrate over each surface (x and z), determine the direction of the area element (left or right), and use the dot product to determine b.
scoldham

Homework Statement

The box-like Gaussian surface of the attached figure encloses a net charge of [tex]+24.0 \epsilon_0 \mu C[/tex] and lies in an electric field given by

[tex]\vec E = [(10.0 + 2.00x) \hat i - 2.00 \hat j + bz\hat k][/tex]N/C

with x and z in meters and b a constant. The bottom face is in the xz plane; the top face is in the horizontal plane passing through y2 = 1.00 m. For x1 = 1.00 m, x2 = 4.00 m, z1 = 1.00 m, and z2 = 3.00 m, what is b?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Phi = \int{E dA}[/tex]

[tex]\int{E dA} = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get that some integration needs to take place over each surface and that the sum of each integration will equal 24 micro coulombs. I can then solve for b. But I'm not sure how the integration needs to happen. What variable do I integrate wrt both x and z? How does that work for the left or right side of the shape? Help very much appreciated!

Attachments

• Gauss law Prob.PNG
    Gauss law Prob.PNG
    5.6 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
You need six separate integrals, one for each face. The orientation of a face dictates which variables you integrate over. For example, for the righthand face, x is constant, so you'll integrate over y and z.

Another hint (or caution) is to be careful how you write the integral equations for each surface. Strictly, the integral is a dot product of E and dA, so you will integrate the component of E which is perpendicular to the surface you are integrating over.

stevenb said:
Another hint (or caution) is to be careful how you write the integral equations for each surface. Strictly, the integral is a dot product of E and dA, so you will integrate the component of E which is perpendicular to the surface you are integrating over.

So you're saying that I won't use i, j, k for all components? Only those applicable.

For example, sticking with the right face, I would use all of them (as it's in i, j and and k) but for the bottom I'd only use i and k?

Thanks.

Not quite. The vector dA points in the direction of the outward normal, so on the righthand face, for example, it would point in the +x direction. In other words, you'd have

[tex]d\vec{A} = \hat{i}\, dA = \hat{i}\, dy\, dz[/tex]

Now if you plug that into the integrand along with your expression for the electric field, what do you get for [tex]\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}[/tex]?

scoldham said:
... sticking with the right face, I would use all of them (as it's in i, j and and k) but for the bottom I'd only use i and k?

No, that's not correct. We should back up one step before stating that we want to integrate the dot product of the field and the dA. We need to be clear about the direction of the area element. The area element dA can be thought of as having a direction outward and perpendicular to the surface. So the bottom surface has direction -j, for example. This means that the dot product with E only needs to consider the j-component of E on that surface.

Would it be,

[tex]\int^{z_1}_{z_2} \int^{y_2}_{0} -2.00 \hat j + bz \hat k dy dz[/tex]

Sorry if I seem like a fish out of water.. but I actually haven't had multivariable calc... it isn't supposed to be required for the class ...

Since you're using vector notation, I assume you've learned some basic vector algebra. That's all you really need here. Recall that the dot product of two vectors is

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} = A_x B_x + A_y B_y + A_z B_z[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{A} = A_x\hat{i}+A_y\hat{j}+A_z\hat{k}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{B} = B_x\hat{i}+B_y\hat{j}+B_z\hat{k}[/tex]. Note that the dot product yields a number for an answer, not a vector.

So try again.

If I'm understanding correctly,

[tex]\vec E \cdot d \vec A = 10.00 + 2.00x dy dz \hat i [/tex]

Correct?

Not quite. (I'm not sure if you made a typo, but dA is a single quantity. It's not d times A.) You should have

[tex]\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A} = (10.00+2.00x)\,dy\,dz[/tex]

The answer is not a vector, so the i-hat you had shouldn't be there.

So... I need to determine [tex]d \vec A[/tex] and dot it with [tex] \vec E[/tex] for each face of the shape. Integrate to remove the differentials, then sum the result of each integration to solve for b?

Am I finally on the right track?

Thank you so much for your help so far.

Yeah, that's exactly what you want to do.

Something isn't working out. Each side cancels the other side... including the sides which involve b.

Looking at the left face,

[tex]d \vec A = -i dy dz[/tex]

and

[tex] \vec E \cdot d \vec A = -(10.00 + 2.00x) dy dz[/tex]

Integrating the left and right face each over [tex] z_1 [/tex] to [tex] z_2 [/tex] and 0 to [tex] y_2[/tex] gives 48 and -48 respectively.

What am I doing wrong?

You're not integrating correctly. Remember x is a constant on those two faces, so you can just plug in what it equals for each face. You should get 36 and -24 for the two integrals (if I didn't make a mistake doing it in my head).

Where did the 3 come from in those integrals? Are you sure that's right for both of them?

[tex]z_2 = 3.00 meters[/tex]

You indeed have z=z2 for the front face, but what about the back face of the block?

That was the problem.. I was using the wrong values for the constants... I'll work it out and let you know if I have any more problems. Thanks for the help!

1. What is Gauss's Law charge problem?

Gauss's Law charge problem is a concept in electrostatics that is used to calculate the electric field created by a charge distribution. It is based on Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How is Gauss's Law charge problem used in real-life applications?

Gauss's Law charge problem is used in a variety of real-life applications, including designing electronic circuits, calculating the electric field around charged particles, and analyzing the behavior of electric fields in materials. It is also used in the development of medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in the study of weather patterns.

3. What is the equation for Gauss's Law charge problem?

The equation for Gauss's Law charge problem is ∮E ⋅ dA = Qenclosed / ε0, where ∮E ⋅ dA is the electric flux through a closed surface, Qenclosed is the total charge enclosed by that surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. How is Gauss's Law charge problem related to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss's Law charge problem and Coulomb's Law are both fundamental laws in electrostatics. Coulomb's Law describes the force between two charged particles, while Gauss's Law relates the electric field created by a charge distribution to the total charge enclosed by a closed surface. Gauss's Law can be derived from Coulomb's Law, and they are both used in different ways to solve electrostatic problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gauss's Law charge problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Gauss's Law charge problem. It is only applicable to static charge distributions, meaning that the charges are not moving. It also assumes that the electric field is constant over the closed surface and that the charge distribution is spherically symmetric. In cases where these assumptions do not hold, other methods, such as using Coulomb's Law or numerical methods, may be necessary to solve the problem.