1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General expression for stress within cone.

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I am supposed to find an expression for the general stress wrt height within a truncated cone of lower and upper radii a and b (a>b), pulled down from its vertical axis by a force of the same magnitude as that pulling it up. The diagram implies that the height between the upper and lower base is h (see attached diagram).

Attempt at solution:
    I did (a-b)/h = (a-r)/h' (since the slope is similar even at height h' from lower base of radius a),
    From which I could find r and hence the difference in the stress: F(1/A_a - 1/A_r) where A_x denotes the surface area of radius x.

I am really not sure this is how it should be done. My initial inclination was to use integrals.
    Should it indeed be done the way it is presented above? Please advise.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2
    I was hoping someone could possibly comment on my attempt at solution and advise how to solve this. Did I happen to post it to the wrong place?

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The stress is just the force per unit area of cross-section, yes? So what you did sounds right. What actual equation did you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook