General expression for stress within cone.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the general stress with respect to height in a truncated cone. The diagram shows a truncated cone with lower and upper radii a and b (a>b) and a height h. The solution involves using the equation (a-b)/h = (a-r)/h' and finding r to calculate the difference in stress using the formula F(1/A_a - 1/A_r). The individual is unsure if this is the correct approach and is seeking advice. The conversation also confirms that stress is the force per unit area of cross-section.
peripatein
Hello,
I am supposed to find an expression for the general stress wrt height within a truncated cone of lower and upper radii a and b (a>b), pulled down from its vertical axis by a force of the same magnitude as that pulling it up. The diagram implies that the height between the upper and lower base is h (see attached diagram).

Attempt at solution:
I did (a-b)/h = (a-r)/h' (since the slope is similar even at height h' from lower base of radius a),
From which I could find r and hence the difference in the stress: F(1/A_a - 1/A_r) where A_x denotes the surface area of radius x.

I am really not sure this is how it should be done. My initial inclination was to use integrals.
Should it indeed be done the way it is presented above? Please advise.

Attachments

• Cone stress.JPG
    Cone stress.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
I was hoping someone could possibly comment on my attempt at solution and advise how to solve this. Did I happen to post it to the wrong place?

The stress is just the force per unit area of cross-section, yes? So what you did sounds right. What actual equation did you get?

Related to General expression for stress within cone.

1. What is the general expression for stress within a cone?

The general expression for stress within a cone is given by σ = (Pc + Pa)cosθ + (Pc - Pa)sinθ, where σ is the stress, Pc is the confining pressure, Pa is the axial stress, and θ is the angle of inclination.

2. How is the stress within a cone affected by the angle of inclination?

The stress within a cone is directly proportional to the angle of inclination. As the angle increases, so does the stress, and vice versa.

3. What is the difference between confining pressure and axial stress?

Confining pressure is the pressure applied perpendicular to the surface of the cone, while axial stress is the pressure applied along the axis of the cone.

4. What are the units of stress within a cone?

The units of stress within a cone are typically in megapascals (MPa) or kilopascals (kPa) in the metric system, or pounds per square inch (psi) in the imperial system.

5. How is the general expression for stress within a cone derived?

The general expression for stress within a cone is derived using the equations for stress and trigonometry. It takes into account the axial stress and confining pressure acting on the cone at a specific angle of inclination.