Solving Inclined Plane FBD Issues with Components

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different coordinate systems for solving problems involving inclined planes and the resulting differences in the normal force vector. It is important to remember that the normal force is a dynamical force, not a fixed applied force, and it should always be in balance with the weight and any other forces acting on the object. Thus, the normal force should be calculated based on the specific situation and coordinate system, rather than being compared between different systems.
Kugan
Ok so here is the issue I'm having:

For problems with inclined planes I have always broken the Fg force down into its components:

Fgy= mgcos(theta)
Fgx = mgsin(theta)

Usually the Fnety= Fgy+ Fn(there is no motion in the Y direction for let's say a car going around a banked curve) Fnety=0 so we can't just say -Fgy= Fn, so Fn = -m(-g)cos(theta) finally arriving at Fn= mgcos(theta)

If however I were to break the normal force vector into components and not the Gravitational force I get: Fn= mg/Cos(theta)

Fny= Fncos(theta)
Fnx = Fnsin(theta)

Fnety = Fny+ mg;
0 = Fny+ mg;
Fny= mg;
Fncos(theta)= mg;

Fn = mg/ cos(theta)

Can someone clarify why, I get two different normal force vectors depending on whether I use the Fg force or the Fn force to orient the axis and break the vector into the components ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kugan said:
Ok so here is the issue I'm having:

For problems with inclined planes I have always broken the Fg force down into its components:

Fgy= mgcos(theta)
Fgx = mgsin(theta)
Here, let me tidy up:
If you put your axis so +y is normal to the slope, +x points down the slope, and the slope has angle ##\theta## to the horizontal (as the usual setup) then you will have, in the absence of any other, applied, force:
* a normal force ##\vec{N}=N\hat{\jmath}##,
* a weight (gravitational force) ##\vec{w}=mg\sin(\theta)\hat{\imath}-mg\cos(\theta)\hat{\jmath}##; and
* a friction force ##\vec{f}=-\mu N \hat{\imath}##
(note - I find it is useful to avoid subscripts where I can.)

Usually the Fnety= Fgy+ Fn(there is no motion in the Y direction for let's say a car going around a banked curve) Fnety=0 so we can't just say -Fgy= Fn, so Fn = -m(-g)cos(theta) finally arriving at Fn= mgcos(theta)
For a car going around a banked curve, there is a net unbalanced force acting radially inwards... so it is not correct to write that ##F_{net}{}_y=0##

In this situation it may be more useful to adopt a different coordinate system. i.e.
If however I were to break the normal force vector into components and not the Gravitational force I get: Fn= mg/Cos(theta)

Fny= Fncos(theta)
Fnx = Fnsin(theta)

Fnety = Fny+ mg;
0 = Fny+ mg;
Fny= mg;
Fncos(theta)= mg;

Fn = mg/ cos(theta)

If you orient your axis so +y = ##-\vec{w}## (i.e. "upwards") and +x pointing at the center of the turn (i.e not into the ground): then the three forces resolve into:
* a normal force ##\vec{N}=N\sin(\theta)\hat{\imath}+N\cos(\theta) \hat{\jmath}##,
* a weight (gravitational force) ##\vec{w}=-mg\hat{\jmath}##; and
* a friction force ##\vec{f}=-\mu N\cos(\theta)\hat{\imath}+\mu N\sin(\theta)\hat{\jmath}##

Thus, ##F_{net}{}_y = N_y-mg+f_y=0 \Rightarrow N_y=mg-f_y##
For the sake of an argument - say that ##f_y=0##, then we recover your:
##N_y=N\cos(\theta)=mg \Rightarrow N_y=mg/\cos(\theta)##

So let's see what the issue is:
Can someone clarify why, I get two different normal force vectors depending on whether I use the Fg force or the Fn force to orient the axis and break the vector into the components ?
Well, clearly, you shouldn't. The trouble is that you are comparing situations that are not equivalent. I suspect you are treating the normal force as an fixed applied force rather than a dynamical force.

Lets take the case of a block accelerating down a frictionless incline ... in that case, the forces normal to the slope should cancel.

We would expect to find that ##N=mg\cos(\theta)## using either coordinate system.

Using gravity to set the coordinates - it is not correct to write ##N\cos(\theta)=mg## because some of the gravity force must be unbalanced to give the acceleration down the slope. In fact ##\vec{N}## will always work so that ##\vec{N}+\vec{w}## will point down the slope.

Now take the case of a block sitting stationary on a slope with friction.
In this case normal components will cancel and so will perpendicular components.
We'd expect to find that ##N=mg\cos{\theta}## and ##\mu N=mg\sin(\theta)## no matter what coordinates we use.

I think you should be able to do it from there.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled or slanted, used to lift or move objects more easily than lifting them vertically.

2. What is a free-body diagram?

A free-body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object, showing the magnitude and direction of each force.

3. How do you solve inclined plane FBD issues with components?

To solve inclined plane FBD issues with components, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the object, representing all the forces acting on it. Then, break down these forces into their horizontal and vertical components, using trigonometry. Finally, apply the laws of motion and equilibrium to solve for unknown forces or accelerations.

4. What are the common forces acting on an object on an inclined plane?

The common forces acting on an object on an inclined plane are the weight of the object, the normal force from the surface of the plane, and the force of friction, if present. Other forces may also be present, such as applied forces or tension in a rope.

5. Can an object on an inclined plane be in equilibrium?

Yes, an object on an inclined plane can be in equilibrium if the forces acting on it are balanced. This means that the net force and net torque must be equal to zero, resulting in no acceleration or rotation of the object.