1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General FBD issue

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    Ok so here is the issue I'm having:

For problems with inclined planes I have always broken the Fg force down into its components:

Fgy= mgcos(theta)
    Fgx = mgsin(theta)

Usually the Fnety= Fgy+ Fn(there is no motion in the Y direction for lets say a car going around a banked curve) Fnety=0 so we cant just say -Fgy= Fn, so Fn = -m(-g)cos(theta) finally arriving at Fn= mgcos(theta)

If however I were to break the normal force vector into components and not the Gravitational force I get: Fn= mg/Cos(theta)

Fny= Fncos(theta)
    Fnx = Fnsin(theta)

Fnety = Fny+ mg;
    0 = Fny+ mg;
    Fny= mg;
    Fncos(theta)= mg;

Fn = mg/ cos(theta)

Can someone clarify why, I get two different normal force vectors depending on whether I use the Fg force or the Fn force to orient the axis and break the vector into the components ?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Here, let me tidy up:
    If you put your axis so +y is normal to the slope, +x points down the slope, and the slope has angle ##\theta## to the horizontal (as the usual setup) then you will have, in the absence of any other, applied, force:
    * a normal force ##\vec{N}=N\hat{\jmath}##,
    * a weight (gravitational force) ##\vec{w}=mg\sin(\theta)\hat{\imath}-mg\cos(\theta)\hat{\jmath}##; and
    * a friction force ##\vec{f}=-\mu N \hat{\imath}##
    (note - I find it is useful to avoid subscripts where I can.)

For a car going around a banked curve, there is a net unbalanced force acting radially inwards... so it is not correct to write that ##F_{net}{}_y=0##

In this situation it may be more useful to adopt a different coordinate system. i.e.
    If you orient your axis so +y = ##-\vec{w}## (i.e. "upwards") and +x pointing at the center of the turn (i.e not into the ground): then the three forces resolve into:
    * a normal force ##\vec{N}=N\sin(\theta)\hat{\imath}+N\cos(\theta) \hat{\jmath}##,
    * a weight (gravitational force) ##\vec{w}=-mg\hat{\jmath}##; and
    * a friction force ##\vec{f}=-\mu N\cos(\theta)\hat{\imath}+\mu N\sin(\theta)\hat{\jmath}##

Thus, ##F_{net}{}_y = N_y-mg+f_y=0 \Rightarrow N_y=mg-f_y##
    For the sake of an argument - say that ##f_y=0##, then we recover your:
    ##N_y=N\cos(\theta)=mg \Rightarrow N_y=mg/\cos(\theta)##

So lets see what the issue is:
    Well, clearly, you shouldn't. The trouble is that you are comparing situations that are not equivalent. I suspect you are treating the normal force as an fixed applied force rather than a dynamical force.

Lets take the case of a block accelerating down a frictionless incline ... in that case, the forces normal to the slope should cancel.

We would expect to find that ##N=mg\cos(\theta)## using either coordinate system.

Using gravity to set the coordinates - it is not correct to write ##N\cos(\theta)=mg## because some of the gravity force must be unbalanced to give the acceleration down the slope. In fact ##\vec{N}## will always work so that ##\vec{N}+\vec{w}## will point down the slope.

Now take the case of a block sitting stationary on a slope with friction.
    In this case normal components will cancel and so will perpendicular components.
    We'd expect to find that ##N=mg\cos{\theta}## and ##\mu N=mg\sin(\theta)## no matter what coordinates we use.

I think you should be able to do it from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook