1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a strange wavefunction satisfies the TDSE.

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wavefunction ψ(x,t) obeys the time-dependent Schrodinger equation for a free particle of mass m moving in one dimension.

Show that a second wavefunction φ(x,t) = ei(ax-bt)ψ(x-vt , t) obeys the same time dependent schrodinger equation, provided a = ħa2/2m and v = ħa/m

2. Relevant equations

The time dependent schrodinger equation is iħ∂φ/∂t = Hφ

Hφ = -ħ2/2m * ∂2φ/∂x2
    3. The attempt at a solution

Taking the partial derivative of φ with respect to t, and using the product rule, you have to take ∂ψ(x-vt, t)/∂t and I'm not sure how to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which thing are you having trouble with? the product rule? or taking a partial derivative?

4. May 12, 2015 #3
    I guess it's taking the partial derivative. I don't know how I can relate ∂ψ(x-vt, t)/∂t to ∂ψ(x,t)/∂t if that's what needs doing.

5. May 12, 2015 #4
    I've taken ∂φ/∂t and I'm trying to show it equals Hφ/iħ because then φ satisfies the TDSE.

∂φ/∂t = (-iħa2/2m)ei(ax-bt)ψ(x-vt, t) + ei(ax-bt)∂ψ(x-vt, t)/∂t
    But I can't really deal with the second term of that eqn

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted