Showing a strange wavefunction satisfies the TDSE.

In summary: I don't know how to relate ∂ψ(x-vt, t)/∂t to ∂ψ(x,t)/∂t.In summary, in order to show that the second wavefunction φ(x,t) = ei(ax-bt)ψ(x-vt , t) obeys the same time dependent schrodinger equation as the first wavefunction ψ(x,t), you can take the partial derivative of φ with respect to t and use the product rule. This will result in (-iħa2/2m)ei(ax-bt)ψ(x-vt, t) + ei(ax-bt)∂ψ(x-vt, t)/∂t, but
Robsta

Homework Statement

The wavefunction ψ(x,t) obeys the time-dependent Schrodinger equation for a free particle of mass m moving in one dimension.

Show that a second wavefunction φ(x,t) = ei(ax-bt)ψ(x-vt , t) obeys the same time dependent schrodinger equation, provided a = ħa2/2m and v = ħa/m

Homework Equations

The time dependent schrodinger equation is iħ∂φ/∂t = Hφ

Hφ = -ħ2/2m * ∂2φ/∂x2

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the partial derivative of φ with respect to t, and using the product rule, you have to take ∂ψ(x-vt, t)/∂t and I'm not sure how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robsta said:

Homework Statement

The wavefunction ψ(x,t) obeys the time-dependent Schrodinger equation for a free particle of mass m moving in one dimension.

Show that a second wavefunction φ(x,t) = ei(ax-bt)ψ(x-vt , t) obeys the same time dependent schrodinger equation, provided a = ħa2/2m and v = ħa/m

Homework Equations

The time dependent schrodinger equation is iħ∂φ/∂t = Hφ

Hφ = -ħ2/2m * ∂2φ/∂x2

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the partial derivative of φ with respect to t, and using the product rule, you have to take ∂ψ(x-vt, t)/∂t and I'm not sure how to do this.
Which thing are you having trouble with? the product rule? or taking a partial derivative?

I guess it's taking the partial derivative. I don't know how I can relate ∂ψ(x-vt, t)/∂t to ∂ψ(x,t)/∂t if that's what needs doing.

I've taken ∂φ/∂t and I'm trying to show it equals Hφ/iħ because then φ satisfies the TDSE.

∂φ/∂t = (-iħa2/2m)ei(ax-bt)ψ(x-vt, t) + ei(ax-bt)∂ψ(x-vt, t)/∂t
But I can't really deal with the second term of that eqn

1. What is the TDSE?

The TDSE stands for the Time-Dependent Schrödinger Equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time.

2. How is the TDSE used to show a strange wavefunction satisfies it?

The TDSE is a mathematical equation that can be solved to determine the allowed wavefunctions for a given quantum system. By plugging in the strange wavefunction and verifying that it satisfies the equation, we can show that it is a valid solution.

3. What does it mean for a wavefunction to satisfy the TDSE?

If a wavefunction satisfies the TDSE, it means that it accurately describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. This includes the position, momentum, and energy of the system at any given time.

4. Can any wavefunction satisfy the TDSE?

No, not all wavefunctions can satisfy the TDSE. Only certain wavefunctions that meet certain criteria, such as being continuous and finite, can accurately describe the behavior of a quantum system and satisfy the equation.

5. Why is it important to show that a wavefunction satisfies the TDSE?

Showing that a wavefunction satisfies the TDSE is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of a quantum system. This is essential for understanding and studying the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.