Generating rotons in superfluids

• Thread starter elad28
  • Start date
In summary, superfluid HE-4 contains a type of phonon called a roton, which is often discussed on websites. However, there is little information on how these rotons are generated in superfluids. An article on the observation of rotons in BEC and a book by James Annett called "Superconductivity, Superfluids, and Condensates" cover this topic in depth and are recommended for further reading.
elad28
In superfluid HE-4 there is a kind of phonon called a roton. In most websites they specify some of the information on rotons although, they don't attend to the question of how are these rotons are generated?
Can you refer me to an article on this or do you have an answer on this (how they are generated in superfluid)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is covered very nicely in chapter 2.7 of James Annett's book "Superconductivity, Superfluids, and Condensates". Honestly, I recommend you buy the book and read the whole thing. Like all books in the Oxford Masters Series, it is little more than a slip of a book, but presents an immense amount of information in a simple and easily digestible format.

PS to Mods: The link to the pdf of the book is hosted by a university. I would like to assume this means they have permission to provide the book for free, but remove the link if you think it violates PF rules/ethics.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpinFlop said:
PS to Mods: The link to the pdf of the book is hosted by a university. I would like to assume this means they have permission to provide the book for free, but remove the link if you think it violates PF rules/ethics.
I do not think that this pdf of the book is legal (it is a scan from a library copy). I have changed the link to point to the publisher's website.

1. What are rotons in superfluids?

Rotons are quasiparticles that arise in superfluids, which are substances that flow with zero viscosity at low temperatures. They are excitations of the superfluid, meaning they are disturbances that propagate through the fluid and can carry energy and momentum.

2. How are rotons generated in superfluids?

Rotons are generated through interactions between atoms in the superfluid. These interactions cause the atoms to form pairs, called Cooper pairs, which are responsible for the superfluid state. When these pairs are broken, rotons are created.

3. What is the significance of rotons in superfluids?

Rotons play a crucial role in the properties and behavior of superfluids. They are responsible for the observed decrease in density at low temperatures, known as the roton dip, and they also contribute to the superfluid's ability to flow without resistance.

4. Can rotons be observed experimentally?

Yes, rotons have been observed experimentally using techniques such as neutron scattering and spectroscopy. These experiments have provided valuable insights into the nature of rotons and their role in superfluids.

5. How do rotons affect the properties of superfluids?

Rotons have a significant impact on the properties of superfluids. They contribute to the superfluid's heat capacity, sound propagation, and viscosity. They also play a role in the formation of vortices, which are swirling patterns that can form in superfluids.