1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genetics recombination questions

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    Confused on 2 questions here

If a recombination frequency between two genes is 1.5%, what is the distance between the genes in map units on the linkage map?

a. Impossible to determine, because the interference is not known.
    b. 1.5
    c. 3
    d. 0.75

Recombination frequencies

a. arise from completely random genetic exchange.
    b. are the same for all genes.
    c. decrease with distance.
    d. are the same for cis and trans heterozygotes.

I thought it was b for the first part a for the second part and but I'm wrong. Can someone explain?
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
    Sorry forgot to add my explanation

b. Each % frequency of recombination equals one map unit between the genes. So 1.5% recombination frequency = 1.5 map units apart will result in 1.5% recombination

a. It can't be (b), because genes are all distances apart; it can't be (c), because frequencies increase with increasing distance; it can't be (d), because the distance between genes is the same whether the alleles are cis or trans loci. So I thought it was a.
  4. Mar 18, 2010 #3
    Help help please.
  5. Mar 18, 2010 #4
    I'm not absolutely sure, but I'd probably agree with your answers.
  6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    I thought I was right but when I entered it into the system I was wrong. I'm sure the first part is right and I thought the second part was right but I guess not.
  7. Mar 18, 2010 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would probably agree too. It is a strange way of examining to ask which of four statements is correct. It seems to me though I am a bit rusty, that you have to a little bit psych what some of the questions mean, if it's any consolation.
  8. Mar 19, 2010 #7
    Well that can't be right since it's marked wrong. Anyone think it's c for the second part?
  9. Mar 19, 2010 #8
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  10. Mar 19, 2010 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was thinking D and C. D because as the loci become further apart (low recombination values) the probability of a second crossover increases and the recombination value is overestimated. The only value less than 1.5 is 0.75 (D). I don't know what is meant by "interference" in answer A but that could be correct as well.

Edit. you are right C can't be correct
  11. Mar 19, 2010 #10
    I finally found some material that helped. I got it right and the answer was D. Thanks guys for your help I really appreciate it.
  12. Mar 20, 2010 #11
    I've been talking about question 2.
    For which one is the answer D? What did you arrive at for number 2?
    The link I recommended explicitly states that trans and cis heterozygotes exhibit equal recombination frequencies.
  13. Mar 23, 2010 #12
    D is the answer for the second question. So you were right.
  14. Mar 24, 2010 #13
    My apologies, I lost track of the question! Technically I wasn't right, the textbook was...:grumpy:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?