1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic equations

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm given the surface of revolution parametrized by [itex]\psi (t, \theta ) = (x(t), y(t)cos \theta, y(t)sin \theta )[/itex] where the curve [itex]\alpha (t) = (x(t),y(t))[/itex] has unit speed. Also given is that [itex]\gamma (s) = \psi (t(s), \theta (s))[/itex] is a geodesic which implies the following equations hold:

[tex]
    \ddot{\theta} = -2 \frac{y'}{y} \dot{\theta} \dot{t} [/tex] and [tex] \ddot{t} = y y' \dot{\theta}^2
    [/tex]

where

[tex]
    y' = \frac{dy}{dt}, \dot{\theta} = \frac{d \theta}{ds}, \ddot{\theta} = \frac{d^2 \theta}{ds^2}, \dot{t} = \frac{dt}{ds}, \ddot{t} = \frac{d^2 t}{ds^2}
    [/tex]

I have to show that the following quantities are independent of [itex]s[/itex]:

[tex]\dot{t}^2 + y^2 \dot{\theta}^2 = E[/tex]
    [tex]y^2 \dot{\theta} = A[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

All that I can think may be of relevance that isn't already listed is that for a unit speed curve, [tex]y'^2 + x'^2 = 1[/tex]. Not sure that this matters here, though.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried rearranging the equations to try to resemble the desired equations, but it's been pretty unfruitful. I was thinking about maybe differentiating one of the equations w.r.t. [itex]s[/itex], but I'm not sure how one would deal with the third derivative of [itex]t[/itex] or [itex]\theta[/itex].

Any help (or hints) are is appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In this case, I think the easiest way to tackle this is to work backwards from the two equations you are trying to prove:

What is [tex]\frac{d}{ds}(y^2 \dot{\theta})[/tex]?:wink:

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3
    Thank you! Your hint was just what I needed. For some reason I was forgetting that [itex]\frac{dy}{ds} = y' \dot{t}[/itex], but now it makes perfect sense.

Thanks again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?