Solving Geodesic Equations on Surfaces of Revolution

• Thread starter mooshasta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geodesic
In summary, the surface of revolution is given by a parametrization \psi (t, \theta) and a unit speed curve \alpha (t). The geodesic \gamma (s) = \psi (t(s), \theta(s)) satisfies two equations involving derivatives of \theta and t. To prove that \dot{t}^2 + y^2 \dot{\theta}^2 and y^2 \dot{\theta} are independent of s, one can use the fact that for a unit speed curve, y'^2 + x'^2 = 1 and the derivative of y^2 \dot{\theta} can be rewritten as y' \dot{t}.
mooshasta

Homework Statement

I'm given the surface of revolution parametrized by [itex]\psi (t, \theta ) = (x(t), y(t)cos \theta, y(t)sin \theta )[/itex] where the curve [itex]\alpha (t) = (x(t),y(t))[/itex] has unit speed. Also given is that [itex]\gamma (s) = \psi (t(s), \theta (s))[/itex] is a geodesic which implies the following equations hold:

[tex]
\ddot{\theta} = -2 \frac{y'}{y} \dot{\theta} \dot{t} [/tex] and [tex] \ddot{t} = y y' \dot{\theta}^2
[/tex]

where

[tex]
y' = \frac{dy}{dt}, \dot{\theta} = \frac{d \theta}{ds}, \ddot{\theta} = \frac{d^2 \theta}{ds^2}, \dot{t} = \frac{dt}{ds}, \ddot{t} = \frac{d^2 t}{ds^2}
[/tex]

I have to show that the following quantities are independent of [itex]s[/itex]:

[tex]\dot{t}^2 + y^2 \dot{\theta}^2 = E[/tex]
[tex]y^2 \dot{\theta} = A[/tex]

Homework Equations

All that I can think may be of relevance that isn't already listed is that for a unit speed curve, [tex]y'^2 + x'^2 = 1[/tex]. Not sure that this matters here, though.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried rearranging the equations to try to resemble the desired equations, but it's been pretty unfruitful. I was thinking about maybe differentiating one of the equations w.r.t. [itex]s[/itex], but I'm not sure how one would deal with the third derivative of [itex]t[/itex] or [itex]\theta[/itex].

Any help (or hints) are is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, I think the easiest way to tackle this is to work backwards from the two equations you are trying to prove:

What is [tex]\frac{d}{ds}(y^2 \dot{\theta})[/tex]?:wink:

Thank you! Your hint was just what I needed. For some reason I was forgetting that [itex]\frac{dy}{ds} = y' \dot{t}[/itex], but now it makes perfect sense.

Thanks again :)

1. What are geodesic equations?

Geodesic equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the shortest paths, or geodesics, on a given surface. These equations take into account the curvature of the surface and the initial conditions of the path.

2. What does it mean to solve geodesic equations on surfaces of revolution?

Solving geodesic equations on surfaces of revolution means finding the shortest paths on a surface that can be generated by rotating a curve around an axis. Examples of surfaces of revolution include spheres, cylinders, and tori.

3. Why is solving geodesic equations on surfaces of revolution important?

Understanding the shortest paths on surfaces of revolution has practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics. It also has theoretical significance in differential geometry and calculus of variations.

4. What are the challenges in solving geodesic equations on surfaces of revolution?

One challenge is that the equations may not have a closed-form solution, requiring numerical methods for finding approximate solutions. Another challenge is that the equations may have multiple solutions, and determining which one is the shortest path can be difficult.

5. How can I solve geodesic equations on surfaces of revolution?

There are various methods for solving geodesic equations on surfaces of revolution, such as the geodesic shooting method, the variational method, and the numerical integration method. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the choice of method may depend on the specific problem at hand.