Geometer's Sketchpad: How to graph x^n?

• Thread starter sorbedocs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary: Overall, the graph will approach y=x^2 for n increases to infinity.In summary, the conversation is discussing the issue of displaying a graph of x^n in Geometer's Sketchpad. The problem is that the software only allows for positive x values when using a variable exponent, leading to an incomplete graph. One solution is to use the DESMOS graphing calculator, which shows the oscillation of the graph as n increases. Another solution is to mirror the positive branch at the y-axis for even n or at the origin for odd n. However, it may be more interesting to only show odd or even powers, as the overall graph approaches y=x^2 for increasing n.
sorbedocs
Hello,

I am using Geometer's Sketchpad and I am trying to display the graph of x^n; that is,

-I have a slider for "n", and so as I move the slider the graph changes (for example if n=2 (a quadratic function), if n=3 (a cubic function)

The PROBLEM that I am having is that in GSP I can graph x^2, and x^3, and so on but as soon as I change the exponent to a variable such as "n", I can only see the values of x that are bigger than or equal to zero (x>=0). In other words, I only get half of the graph, that is, the part of the x>=0 values. I would also like to see the x values that are less than zero (x<0).

How do I get to display this properly?

(See attachment for details. Note: instead of "n" I used "a", same idea though)

Any recommendation, or advice is greatly appreciated.

SORBEDOCS

Attachments

• GSP-graphing-exponent-N.jpg
    GSP-graphing-exponent-N.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 590
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that the graph will oscillate between plus and minus infinity when x<0 as n increases from 0 to some positive integer and it looks like the GSP has similarly restricted all x values to be positive only.

If you use the DESMOS graphing calculator you will see the oscillation as n goes from 0 to 10 in integer step and with n as a real number the x<0 is undefined.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator
just enter ##x^n## and vary the n value using the slider that appears.

@fresh_42 please check this answer

sorbedocs said:
How do I get to display this properly?
You could mirror the positive branch: at the y-axis for even n, and at the origin for odd n.
But as you can see at @jedishrfu's example on Desmos.com, it would be more interesting to see how only odd or only even powers behave.

1. What is Geometer's Sketchpad?

Geometer's Sketchpad is a dynamic geometry software that allows users to create and manipulate geometric figures, graphs, and animations.

2. How do I graph x^n using Geometer's Sketchpad?

To graph x^n using Geometer's Sketchpad, follow these steps: 1. Open Geometer's Sketchpad and click on the "Graph" button. 2. In the graphing window, click on the "Function" tab. 3. In the "y=" box, type "x^n" where n is the exponent you want to use. 4. Click on the "Graph" button to see the graph of x^n.

3. Can I change the scale of the graph on Geometer's Sketchpad?

Yes, you can change the scale of the graph on Geometer's Sketchpad. Simply right-click on the graph and select "Scale." You can then adjust the x and y axis scales to your preference.

4. How do I animate the graph of x^n on Geometer's Sketchpad?

To animate the graph of x^n on Geometer's Sketchpad, follow these steps: 1. Click on the "Animate" button. 2. In the "Function" tab, click on the "y=" box and type "x^n" where n is the exponent you want to use. 3. Adjust the animation settings, such as the speed and range, in the "Animate" window. 4. Click on the "Play" button to see the graph animate.

5. Is Geometer's Sketchpad suitable for all levels of math learners?

Yes, Geometer's Sketchpad is suitable for all levels of math learners. It can be used for basic graphing and geometric constructions, as well as more advanced concepts such as calculus and trigonometry. Its user-friendly interface makes it accessible for learners of all levels.