Geometer's Sketchpad: How to graph x^n?

• Thread starter sorbedocs
  • Start date
Hello,

I am using Geometer's Sketchpad and I am trying to display the graph of x^n; that is,

-I have a slider for "n", and so as I move the slider the graph changes (for example if n=2 (a quadratic function), if n=3 (a cubic function)

The PROBLEM that I am having is that in GSP I can graph x^2, and x^3, and so on but as soon as I change the exponent to a variable such as "n", I can only see the values of x that are bigger than or equal to zero (x>=0). In other words, I only get half of the graph, that is, the part of the x>=0 values. I would also like to see the x values that are less than zero (x<0).

How do I get to display this properly?

(See attachment for details. Note: instead of "n" I used "a", same idea though)

Any recommendation, or advice is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

SORBEDOCS

Attachments

Answers and Replies

The problem is that the graph will oscillate between plus and minus infinity when x<0 as n increases from 0 to some positive integer and it looks like the GSP has similarly restricted all x values to be positive only.

If you use the DESMOS graphing calculator you will see the oscillation as n goes from 0 to 10 in integer step and with n as a real number the x<0 is undefined.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator
just enter ##x^n## and vary the n value using the slider that appears.

@fresh_42 please check this answer

How do I get to display this properly?
You could mirror the positive branch: at the y-axis for even n, and at the origin for odd n.
But as you can see at @jedishrfu's example on Desmos.com, it would be more interesting to see how only odd or only even powers behave.