What is the formula for finding the common ratio in a geometric sequence?

In summary: I used the general term formula because it is also known as the geometric sequence formula. In summary, the question asked to use a geometric sequence formula, and I used the second one that I listed.
temaire

Homework Statement

On an exam question, although I can not remember the details, it gave us a table that looks similar to the table below.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9703/geoseqpr4.png​
[/URL]
The question tells us that the graph is a geometric sequence, and says to use a formula to determine what the common ratio is.

Homework Equations

[tex]t_n=ar^n^-^1[/tex]
[tex]A=P(1+i)^n[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Although the question did not specify which formula to use, I used the second one that I listed above. Would this be acceptable to determine the common ratio, or was the question expecting us to use the general term formula?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both formulas can be used. (why?)

Those are both the same with A= tn, r= 1+ i, and a= P(1+i).

However, the second equation is NOT normally given as a 'geometric sequence' formula. It is the formula for the amount in, say, a bank account, when the initial amount put into the account was P and the account compounded annually, for n years, at interest i.

You should be able to get the correct answer using either one. did the problem really say to "use a formula"? Learning mathematics is more about learning definitions than formulas. I would simply say that the common ratio is simply the ratio of the population at one year to the population the previous year- if this is a geometric sequence then all such ratios should be the same: 20/10= 40/20= 2. The "common ratio" is 2.

dirk_mec1 said:
Both formulas can be used. (why?)

Actually, I think the question more specifically asked to use a geometric sequence formula, and I used the second one that I listed. Now, I'm wondering if I will lose marks for not using the general term formula, because it is known as the geometric sequence formula. The reason why I used the second formula on the exam is because I thought it was just another form of the general term formula, and that it would be acceptable.

HallsofIvy said:
did the problem really say to "use a formula"?

Like I said at first, I don't quite remember the exact details of the question, but you had to find the common ratio (although they don't tell you directly) and put it into a percentage. Also, if you read my post above, you will see that I corrected myself.

Related to What is the formula for finding the common ratio in a geometric sequence?

What is the formula for a geometric sequence?

The formula for a geometric sequence is an = a1 * rn-1, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

How do you find the common ratio in a geometric sequence?

The common ratio in a geometric sequence can be found by dividing any term by the previous term. This means r = an / an-1, where r is the common ratio and an and an-1 are consecutive terms in the sequence.

What is the difference between a geometric sequence and an arithmetic sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence in which each term is multiplied by a constant ratio to get the next term, while an arithmetic sequence is a sequence in which each term is added by a constant value to get the next term. In other words, the difference between consecutive terms in a geometric sequence is a constant multiple, while the difference between consecutive terms in an arithmetic sequence is a constant value.

How do you find the sum of a geometric sequence?

The sum of a geometric sequence can be found using the formula Sn = a1 * (1 - rn) / (1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

Can a geometric sequence have negative terms?

Yes, a geometric sequence can have negative terms. As long as the common ratio is a negative number, the terms in the sequence can alternate between positive and negative values.