Geometrical optics, refraction

In summary: Summary: In summary, a spherical surface of roc 10 cm separates two media, x and y, with refractive indices of 3/2 and 4/3 respectively. The centre of the spherical surface lies in the denser medium. To ensure a real image, the object distance must be less than 80 cm. The formula u2/v - u1/u = (u2 - u1)/R is used for refraction at a spherical interface, with proper sign convention and boundary conditions taken into consideration. If the light ray is incident from the denser medium to the rarer, the image distance and radius are positive and the object distance is negative. The image will converge at one point or the other in the denser
ak127a

Homework Statement

A spherical surface of roc 10 cm separates 2 media x and y of refractive indices 3/2 and 4/3 respectively. Centre of the spherical surface lies in the denser medium. An object is placed i x medium. For image to be real, the object distance must be ----

A) >90 cm

B) <90 cm

C) >80 cm

D) <80 cm

Homework Equations

- i don't know relevant questions[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula u2/v - u1/u = (u2 - u1)/R. Where u2= 3/2 and u1= 4/3. But i don't think that that is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation which you used
Is correct
Just set the boundary conditions
And use proper sign convention
(If the light ray is incident from the denser medium to the rarer, the image distance and radius are positive and the object distance is negative)
Remember that the image formed is a real one and thus will converge at one point or the other in the denser or the rarer medium
The distance of the image will be measured from the boundary obviously
The formula
Is used is
That for
Refraction at A Spherical Interface

UchihaClan13

Object dist. Tending to infinite? And img dist. 'f'? That didn't gave me the answer. Please post the exact solution.

Is the object placed in the first medium??
(The rarer one?)
I can give you small hints
But I cannot give you the entire answer

UchihaClan13 said:
(The rarer one?)
I got it. I placed object in the wrong medium. My bad

UchihaClan13 said:
(The rarer one?)
I got it. I placed object in the wrong medium. My bad

Glad you could realize it
UchihaClan13

1. What is geometrical optics?

Geometrical optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of light as it travels through different mediums and interacts with objects. It focuses on the principles and laws that govern the path of light rays, without considering the wave nature of light.

2. What is refraction in geometrical optics?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a boundary between two different mediums. This bending occurs due to the change in the speed of light as it travels from one medium to another, causing the light ray to change direction.

3. How is the angle of refraction determined?

The angle of refraction is determined by Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is constant for a given pair of mediums. This constant is known as the refractive index of the mediums.

4. What is the difference between convex and concave lenses?

Convex lenses are thicker at the center and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge and form real images. On the other hand, concave lenses are thinner at the center and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge and form virtual images.

5. How does refraction affect the appearance of objects in water?

Due to the difference in refractive index between air and water, light bends as it enters and exits the water. This causes objects to appear distorted or displaced when viewed from above the water's surface.