Geometries from Line Element $$dl^2=d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta\, d\varphi^2$$

In summary, the conversation discusses the line element dl^2=d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta\, d\varphi^2 where ##\theta\in [0,\pi]##. The standard interpretation is to take ##\varphi\in [0,2\pi)##, but the question arises whether it is consistent to interpret ##\varphi## as ##\varphi\in (-\infty,\infty)## and what geometrical object the line element represents in this case. The conversation explores the possibility of a cylinder or an infinite chain of spheres connected at the missing pole points, but it is concluded that the coordinate singularity in ##\theta## is not removable and
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider the line element
$$dl^2=d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta\, d\varphi^2$$
where ##\theta\in [0,\pi]##. The standard interpretation of this line element is to take ##\varphi\in [0,2\pi)##, in which case the line element represents the standard metric of the sphere ##S^2##. However, from the line element itself I don't see why I could not take ##\varphi\in (-\infty,\infty)##. Is it consistent to interpret ##\varphi## as ##\varphi\in (-\infty,\infty)##, and if it is, what geometrical object the line element represent in this case? Is it a smooth manifold, or does it contain some singularities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
Is it consistent to interpret ##\varphi## as ##\varphi\in (-\infty,\infty)##, and if it is, what geometrical object the line element represent in this case?
I don't know if there is a unique answer to this question; however, one possible answer is a cylinder, ##S^1 \times R##. The ##\theta## coordinate would wrap around the cylinder, and the ##\phi## coordinate would be a weirdly scaled axial coordinate along the cylinder, with the scaling dependent on ##\theta## instead of being constant. The chart would not cover the entire cylinder since the locus ##\theta = 0## (or ##\theta = \pi##) would be a coordinate singularity.

Likes PeroK
I suppose you could consider it embedded in 3D space with a radial coordinate ##r=e^\varphi##, but the metric wouldn't be Euclidean. The cross-section in the equatorial xy-plane would be a logarithmic spiral. The cross-section in any vertical plane that included the z-axis would be two infinite sets of concentric semicircles.

If you restricted yourself to ##\varphi\in (0,\infty)## you could use ##r = \varphi## instead.

Likes PeroK
PeterDonis said:
I don't know if there is a unique answer to this question; however, one possible answer is a cylinder, ##S^1 \times R##. The ##\theta## coordinate would wrap around the cylinder, and the ##\phi## coordinate would be a weirdly scaled axial coordinate along the cylinder, with the scaling dependent on ##\theta## instead of being constant. The chart would not cover the entire cylinder since the locus ##\theta = 0## (or ##\theta = \pi##) would be a coordinate singularity.
The thing is though, the coordinate chart where ##\theta## and ##\phi## are valid coordinates already describe a cylindrical topology where the geometry is that of a sphere. You can remove the coordinate singularity but you will then just recover the sphere.

With the line element of the standard sphere and the Levi-Civita connection, you recover the sphere. You may of course consider other connections, which would describe different geometry, but that opens up an entirely new can of worms.

The same manifold can have many different metrics, so a metric cannot determine the manifold. Strictly speaking you need the manifold first. The question is a bit like "I am think of a manifold with this metric, guess what I have in kind."

martinbn said:
The same manifold can have many different metrics, so a metric cannot determine the manifold. Strictly speaking you need the manifold first. The question is a bit like "I am think of a manifold with this metric, guess what I have in kind."
The relevant question in this question is: given a coordinate chart with a particular form for the metric, what are the possible global geometries?

The chart here obviously carries the same geometry as part of the sphere - in essence the sphere minus the poles and the question becomes if it would be possible to construct any other manifold than the sphere with the standard metric that has such a chart. I suspect this is not possible.

Likes Demystifier
Orodruin said:
The relevant question in this question is: given a coordinate chart with a particular form for the metric, what are the possible global geometries?

The chart here obviously carries the same geometry as part of the sphere - in essence the sphere minus the poles and the question becomes if it would be possible to construct any other manifold than the sphere with the standard metric that has such a chart. I suspect this is not possible.
Well, smoothness comes into play. The obvious choice for the OP suggestion is an infinite chain of spheres connected at the missing pole points. This would be topologically a cylinder, as has already been noted. I guess a flaw in this is that you would have to declare that a countable set of theta coordinate values are excluded from the manifold.

Orodruin said:
The thing is though, the coordinate chart where ##\theta## and ##\phi## are valid coordinates already describe a cylindrical topology where the geometry is that of a sphere.
This is true for the standard range of the ##\varphi## coordinate, but the OP has specified that the range of ##\varphi## is changed from the standard range.

Orodruin said:
You can remove the coordinate singularity but you will then just recover the sphere.
I don't understand. The coordinate singularity in ##\theta## is not removable; it is there, heuristically, because ##\theta## is an angular coordinate covering a dimension whose topology is ##S^1##, which is impossible to cover with a single coordinate chart.

Orodruin said:
This is how i understood it. In general nothing can be said. For example if we take an open disc in the plane with the Euclidean metric. It can be extanded in any two dimensional manifold with many different metrics. Of course there are restrictions but definitely no uniqueness.
Orodruin said:
Yes, i guess in this example one could answer the question the way demystifier hopes.

Ps Is the question motivated by GR?

martinbn said:
Ps Is the question motivated by GR?
Yes, but I wanted first to understand a simpler (yet nontrivial) case.

martinbn said:
It makes sense to me, but in practice physicists always work backwards. They first find a solution of Einstein (or some similar) local differential equations, and then try to find out what kind of global geometry this solution represents. What I want to understand is to what extent such a practice is justified.

Demystifier said:
It makes sense to me, but in practice physicists always work backwards. They first find a solution of Einstein (or some similar) local differential equations, and then try to find out what kind of global geometry this solution represents. What I want to understand is to what extent such a practice is justified.
Is that the case? My impression was that they emphasize that the equations are local and do not determine the global properties.

martinbn said:
Is that the case? My impression was that they emphasize that the equations are local and do not determine the global properties.
See e.g. the Wald's book, Sec. 6.4 The Kruskal Extension.

The FLRW solution on the other hand starts from the global properties in terms of spatial symmetry and works the other way around.

It is also a fact that any spacetime satisfies the Einstein field equations. The only question is what the stress energy tensor is and if it can be interpreted as pertaining to something that actually exists.

Likes PeterDonis, martinbn and vanhees71
Demystifier said:
There is no claim for uniqueness. This of course is very special if you take it to be vacuum and spherecally symmetric. I wouldn't say that this is what happens ussually based on this example.

Demystifier said:
As @martinbn notes, this is a special case, because Birkhoff's Theorem says that the only spacetime geometry that is vacuum and spherically symmetric is the Schwarzschild geometry. There is no such uniqueness theorem for any other case that I'm aware of except Reissner-Nordstrom (spherical symmetry plus electrovacuum--the only stress-energy is a source free electromagnetic field).

Also note that any maximal extension has to assume that the same local conditions continue to hold globally, i.e., everywhere. For a vacuum region surrounding a spherically symmetric planet or star, the Kruskal extension is not valid, because the vacuum condition ceases to hold at the boundary of the planet or star. So in any real solution we cannot rely solely on maximal extension to tell us what the global geometry is. We have to actually go and look at what the conditions are.

1. What is the significance of the line element in geometries?

The line element is a fundamental concept in differential geometry, which is used to measure distances and angles in curved spaces. It is a mathematical representation of the metric tensor, which describes the intrinsic properties of a space.

2. How is the line element related to the geometry of a space?

The line element is related to the geometry of a space through the metric tensor. The metric tensor determines the curvature and shape of a space, and the line element is used to calculate distances and angles within that space.

3. What does the line element dl^2=dθ^2 + sin^2θ dφ^2 represent?

This line element represents the geometry of a two-dimensional surface, such as a sphere or a curved surface. The first term, dθ^2, represents the infinitesimal change in the polar angle θ, while the second term, sin^2θ dφ^2, represents the infinitesimal change in the azimuthal angle φ.

4. How is the line element used in Einstein's theory of general relativity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, the line element is used to describe the curvature of spacetime. The metric tensor, which is represented by the line element, is used to calculate the path of a particle in a gravitational field and to determine the gravitational field equations.

5. Can the line element be used to describe the geometry of higher-dimensional spaces?

Yes, the line element can be extended to higher-dimensional spaces, such as four-dimensional spacetime in general relativity. In these cases, the line element would have additional terms to represent the extra dimensions, but the basic structure remains the same.