Exploring Equilibrium During Phase Changes: DeltaG=0 and DeltaH=TdeltaS

In summary, equilibrium during phase changes refers to the balance between the forward and reverse reactions, resulting in no net change in the amount of substances present. A DeltaG value of 0 indicates maximum stability at equilibrium. DeltaH, or enthalpy, remains constant at equilibrium, while TdeltaS, or entropy, is at a maximum. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities can affect the equilibrium during phase changes.
reconrusty
I am in the section of Gibbs Energy for my chemistry course and in the textbook it says the system is at equilibrium at the boiling point, so deltaG=0, and deltaH=TdeltaS. I was just wondering if the system is always at equilibrium during any phase change, not just at its boiling point.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
reconrusty said:
equilibrium during any phase change
The free energies of the phases are equal at the phase boundaries in the phase diagram, so what do you think?

I should say yes.

Fair 'nuff.

What is equilibrium during phase changes?

Equilibrium during phase changes is when the rate of the forward reaction (solid to liquid or liquid to gas) is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction (liquid to solid or gas to liquid). This means that there is no net change in the amount of each substance present.

What does DeltaG=0 mean in terms of equilibrium during phase changes?

DeltaG=0 means that the system is at equilibrium, and there is no change in the Gibbs free energy of the system. This means that the system is in a state of maximum stability.

How does DeltaH relate to equilibrium during phase changes?

DeltaH, or enthalpy, is the heat absorbed or released during a phase change. At equilibrium, the enthalpy of the system remains constant, as there is no net change in the amount of each substance present.

What is TdeltaS and how does it relate to equilibrium during phase changes?

TdeltaS, or the change in entropy, is the measure of disorder or randomness in a system. At equilibrium, the entropy of the system is at a maximum, as there is no net change in the amount of each substance present.

What factors can affect equilibrium during phase changes?

The factors that can affect equilibrium during phase changes include temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium towards either the solid, liquid, or gas phase.