Gibbs phase rule at critical point

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
casas1010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
What is the degrees of freedom at the critical point of a 1 component system such as water. in my test I put zero because the critical point is a POINT that is fixed per substance.
is there any books that can back me up?
I heard that my teacher said there was 1 degree of freedom which I am pretty sure its wrong
 
Physics news on Phys.org
casas1010 said:
What is the degrees of freedom at the critical point of a 1 component system such as water. in my test I put zero because the critical point is a POINT that is fixed per substance.
is there any books that can back me up?
I heard that my teacher said there was 1 degree of freedom which I am pretty sure its wrong
I agree with you. P + V = C +2
C = 1
P = 3
so
V = 0

Chet