Given epsilon, find delta

So, on the one hand, you need to use an epsilon bigger than .1, and on the other hand, the factor divided out by |x + 1| needs to be smaller than 1, so you want a factor that's smaller than 1/epsilon.So you want something like 1/epsilon or 2/epsilon or 3/epsilon, but since delta needs to be smaller than epsilon, maybe you want 1/2epsilon or 1/3epsilon or 1/4epsilon.So you might want to try something like |x + 1| < 1/3epsilon.
musicfairy
I don't know how yor format this, so:

x3 + x2 +x +1

The limit of that function = 0 as x approaches -1

What's the greatest value of delta when epsilon = 0.1?

This is what I tried to do:

|x3 + x2 + x + 1| < 0.1
-0.1 < x3 + x2 + x + 1 < 0.1
-1.1 < x3 + x2 + x < -0.9

In my calculator I plotted y = f(x), y = -1.1, and y = -0.9
The intersect are at x = -1.379 and x = -1.326

So I plugged them in this equation.

0<|x + 1|<delta

|-1.379 + 1| < 0.379
|-1.326 + 1| < 0.326

So I pick delta = 0.326 because it's smaller.

Now can someone please tell me everything that went wrong and offer any advice on how I could understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
musicfairy said:
I don't know how yor format this, so:

x3 + x2 +x +1

The limit of that function = 0 as x approaches -1

What's the greatest value of delta when epsilon = 0.1?

This is what I tried to do:

|x3 + x2 + x + 1| < 0.1
-0.1 < x3 + x2 + x + 1 < 0.1
-1.1 < x3 + x2 + x < -0.9

In my calculator I plotted y = f(x), y = -1.1, and y = -0.9
The intersect are at x = -1.379 and x = -1.326
So I plugged them in this equation.

0<|x + 1|<delta

|-1.379 + 1| < 0.379
|-1.326 + 1| < 0.326

So I pick delta = 0.326 because it's smaller.

Now can someone please tell me everything that went wrong and offer any advice on how I could understand this?

What exactly was your f(x)? I do exactly what you say you did and I do NOT get -1.379 and -1.376. For one thing, x= -1 is NOT between those values- they can't possibly be right!

Your delta is way too big. f(-1.326) = -0.8992, and f(-0.674) = 0.474094. Here x is within .326 of -1 (-1 - .326 and -1 + .326), but the function values are not within .1 of zero.

When you plotted f(x) on your calculator, did you use f(x) = x^3 + x^2 + x + 1? You also show x^3 + x^2 + x in one of your inequalities, so I'm not sure whether you might have used that one.

You should factor x^3 + x^2 + x + 1 into (x + 1) times the other factor.

You want |x^3 + x^2 + x + 1| < epsilon
so |x + 1|* |something| < epsilon

You can tie that inequality to one involving |x + 1| if you replace |something| above with a value that's guaranteed to be larger, for all values of x on some reasonable interval.

As a hint, delta needs to be quite a bit smaller than epsilon, like some fraction of it.

1. What does "Given epsilon, find delta" mean?

"Given epsilon, find delta" is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the relationship between two variables, typically represented by the Greek letters epsilon (ε) and delta (δ). It is often used in the context of limits and is used to find the appropriate value of delta that corresponds to a given value of epsilon.

2. Why is "Given epsilon, find delta" important in mathematics?

This concept is important in mathematics because it helps to define the behavior of a function at a particular point. It is also used in the definition of continuity and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

3. How do you find delta given a specific value of epsilon?

The process of finding delta given a specific value of epsilon involves manipulating the mathematical expression that represents the relationship between the two variables. This typically involves using algebraic techniques and properties of limits to isolate and solve for delta.

4. Can "Given epsilon, find delta" be applied to all functions?

Yes, the concept of "Given epsilon, find delta" can be applied to all functions, as long as the function is defined and continuous at the point in question. However, the process of finding delta may differ depending on the type of function and the specific values of epsilon and delta.

5. How is "Given epsilon, find delta" used in real-world applications?

This concept is used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum error in a measurement or to optimize a process by minimizing the error between the desired and actual outcomes.