1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given force equation, solve for work.

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that a force acting on an object is given by , where the constants = 2.9 and = 3.9 . Determine the work done on the object by this force as it moves in a straight line from the origin to = (10.0 + 21.5).

3. The attempt at a solution
    well... what i did first was i found the length of the tangent of the distance. (using the pythagorean theorem, to get 23.7m).
    i dont really know what to do with the other given information. i thought maybe i could plug the given constants into the equation graph and then find the length of the tangent of the force (which i got to be 4.86 N) and then just plug into the equation W=FΔx, but that is incorrect.

apparently the answer is roughly 1000 J, but im obviously not getting that as my answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2
    Hey,i think you missed writing the equation. the entire problem has not been provided

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3
    hahahaha....oops sorry the force is given by the equation F=axi+byj (i, j being the components of the force i (hat) and j (hat)). the constants a=2.9 N/m and b=3.9 N/m

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4
    Hey.

See break force and displacement along the axis.
    Force along X axis is given by ax (i)
    Remember this force is not a constant and depends on the position of particle on x axis given by x.

Displacement along x in moving from x to x +dx is given by dx (i)
    which makes dW=ax(dx).
    Integrate to get work

Do similarly for y.

What do you see?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook