1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given magnetic field, particle charge, and force (vector) Calculate velocity?

1. Apr 6, 2006 #1
    A particle with charge -5 nC is moving in a uniform magnetic field B = -(1.2 T)k. The magnetic force on the particle is measured to be F = -(3.6*10^(-7) N)i + (7.6*10^-7)j. Calculate the x and y components of the particle's velocity.

F = q(V X B)
    (force equals charge multiplied by the cross product of V and B)

Calculate the scalar product (dot product) v*F
    vx*Fx + vy*Fy + vz*Fz?

What is the angle between v and F (in degrees)?
    F = qvB sin theta
    theta = arcsin [F/(qvB)]?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2006 #2
    Fz is zero, right? So do you need to worry about Vz, or the angle between V and B? Or do you just need to worry about the component of V that is perpendicular to B? (Which would be in the xy plane only).

4. Apr 7, 2006 #3
    I believe that I just need to worry about the component of V that is perpendicular to B (x and y components of V) since force exists in the x and y directions only.

5. Apr 7, 2006 #4
    I found equations for each of the x and y components:

V_x = (-F_y)/(q*B)
    V_x = -(-7.6E-7)/(-5E-6*-1.20)
    V_x = -0.127 m/s

V_y = (-F_x)/(q*B)
    V_y = -(-3.6E-7)/(-5E-6*-1.2)
    V_y = 0.06 m/s

But those answers aren't right... What am I doing wrong? Are the equations not right? Am I using incorrect values in correct equations? I'm so confused!

6. Apr 7, 2006 #5
    Kay, nevermind... :uhh:

7. Apr 7, 2006 #6
    Just calculate the cross product q(vxB), assuming a certain variable for each component of the velocity, and equate the result to the force.

Btw, vxF is zero and it doesn't help much.

8. Apr 7, 2006 #7
    Thanks. I found out my problem. I'm so used to converting micro 10^-6 that when I came across "nano," I used micro's conversion value. :uhh:

9. Apr 27, 2010 #8
    v*F being zero tells you that the angle between them is 90 degrees, so it does actually help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?