Given RLC circuit to find V over load & other complications

In summary, the homework assignment asks you to find the current, frequency, and impedances for a circuit with a source that has a cosine function of time as a source voltage. You use the phasor to find the impedances and the node equations to solve for the values.
hdp12

Homework Statement

In my Intro to EE class we have a homework assignment with the following problem:

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1447880839.699240.jpg

I think I finished part a but want to make sure that I am doing the problem correctly before I move on to the next part.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1447880822.202961.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll want to work with phasors and impedances; You can't mix Ohms and Henries and Farads in your node equations. So first thing to do is determine the impedances of your reactive components (L and C). These will be imaginary values, in Ohms. Then use these in your node equations.

but the given current is in terms of t and impedances are in terms of s or jω
what do I do about that?

hdp12 said:
but the given current is in terms of t and impedances are in terms of s or jω
what do I do about that?
The current is specified as a cosine function of time. It has a frequency, so there's your ω for determining impedances. Its phasor will be just the magnitude of the cosine function since there's no phase shift involved.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1447887888.981216.jpg

Yeah?

No, for a couple of reasons. First, you're mixing Laplace domain and time domain quantities in the same equations (the cosine as a function of time along with 's' implied differentiation and integration in the Laplace domain). That's not going to work, and it's really too much mathematical machinery for the problem at hand: you aren't looking for transient and steady state response of the circuit, you're looking for just the steady state response, which is much simpler!

o Start by determining the operating frequency of the circuit: pull ω out of the time domain definition of the source.
o Write the current as a phasor value: For a cosine it's just the magnitude, so it's really simple.
o Use the ω from above and determine the impedances of the reactive components (jω stuff). Write them onto the circuit diagram.
o Write the node equations (or whatever other method you choose to solve for the required values).

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1447889179.292806.jpg

What do I do with that i(t)? I think I'm supposed to know based on the phasor but I'm unsure

Okay, you're getting there. Replace i(t) on your figure with the phasor current 20 A. Keep in mind that this represents the peak value, not the rms value. Later you'll be asked to find rms values and powers dissipated, so you'll need to remember this. You'll see :smile:

Calculate values for the impedances of L and C. You've got the frequency and the component values, so do the calculations. Write those values onto your diagram.

Likes berkeman
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1447890656.771047.jpg

Now what?

Hmm. Something's gone awry in your workings. Your value for V2 doesn't look right. I think you've done fine up to where you've found an expression for VA in terms of V2.

When you've sorted that, the value for V2 will be the complex form of the phasor voltage for V2. You can find its magnitude and phase from the complex value.

I found where I made the error, it was when I plugged in Va in terms of V2 into (1), so after solving it (correctly this time I think) I got

61.54j-61.54

does that look right?

hdp12 said:
I found where I made the error, it was when I plugged in Va in terms of V2 into (1), so after solving it (correctly this time I think) I got

61.54j-61.54

does that look right?
Yes, that looks much better!

So now you have the phasor for V2 in complex form. You can convert it to polar form: magnitude and phase, then write the time domain version from that.

1. What is an RLC circuit and how does it work?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and interact with each other to create a resonance effect. The resistor limits the current flow, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. Together, these components determine the behavior of the circuit, such as the frequency response and voltage across the load.

2. How do I find the voltage across the load in an RLC circuit?

To find the voltage across the load in an RLC circuit, you can use the equation V = IZ, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and Z is the impedance. Impedance is a combination of resistance (R), inductive reactance (XL), and capacitive reactance (XC). You can calculate the impedance using the equation Z = √(R² + (XL - XC)²). Once you have the impedance, you can plug it into the equation V = IZ to find the voltage across the load.

3. What are the complications that can occur in an RLC circuit?

There are several complications that can occur in an RLC circuit, such as resonance, harmonic distortion, and frequency response. Resonance occurs when the frequency of the input voltage matches the natural frequency of the circuit, causing the voltage across the load to increase significantly. Harmonic distortion happens when the input voltage contains frequencies that are multiples of the natural frequency, resulting in distorted output signals. Frequency response is the measure of how the circuit responds to different frequencies, and it can be affected by the values of the components in the circuit.

4. How can I analyze an RLC circuit to find V over load?

To analyze an RLC circuit and find the voltage over load, you can use various techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, nodal analysis, and mesh analysis. Kirchhoff's laws state that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltages in a closed loop must equal zero. Nodal analysis involves writing equations for the voltage at each node in the circuit and solving them simultaneously. Mesh analysis involves breaking the circuit into smaller loops and writing equations for the voltage across each element in the loop.

5. How can I troubleshoot problems in an RLC circuit?

To troubleshoot problems in an RLC circuit, you can use various techniques such as checking for loose connections, testing the components, and using simulation software. Loose connections can cause unexpected behavior in the circuit, so it is essential to ensure all connections are secure. You can test the components using a multimeter to check for any faulty components. Simulation software, such as SPICE, can help analyze and troubleshoot complex RLC circuits by simulating their behavior and identifying any potential issues.