Given the partial derivatives, find the function or show it does not exist.

In summary: In fact, from the mixed derivative, f_{xy}= f_{yx}= 2x- 2y.In summary, the conversation discusses the partial derivative of a function f with respect to an independent variable x_k, represented as f_{x_k}. Through integration, the original function can be found in the form of f(x_1, x_2, ... , x_n) = \frac{k}{2}x_k^2 + g(x_{k+1}, x_{k+2}, ... , x_n). It is also noted that for continuous functions, mixed partial derivatives must be equal.
Jormungandr

Homework Statement

[itex]f'_x = kx_k, k = 1, 2, ..., n[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The partial should be f(sub)x(sub)k, as in, the partial derivative of [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]x_k[/itex]. I wasn't sure how to represent that using TeX.

I'm honestly at a complete loss here, because I'm not entirely sure what the subscripts refer to. I suppose if [itex]k = 1[/itex], then the derivative of [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]x_k[/itex] [itex]= 1x_1[/itex], but that tells me absolutely nothing because I don't even know what that [itex]x_1[/itex] refers to...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jormungandr said:

Homework Statement

[itex]f'_x = kx_k, k = 1, 2, ..., n[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The partial should be f(sub)x(sub)k, as in, the partial derivative of [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]x_k[/itex]. I wasn't sure how to represent that using TeX.

I'm honestly at a complete loss here, because I'm not entirely sure what the subscripts refer to. I suppose if [itex]k = 1[/itex], then the derivative of [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]x_k[/itex] [itex]= 1x_1[/itex], but that tells me absolutely nothing because I don't even know what that [itex]x_1[/itex] refers to...

Any help would be much appreciated!
f_{x_k} → [itex]\displaystyle f_{x_k} [/itex]

The subscripts mean that you have n variables.

Rather than using x, y, and z for three variable, you could use x1, x2, and x3 .

What if n = 100 ? How else would you name all the variables ?

Added in Edit:

For instance, if we did use x, y, and z for x1, x2, and x3, we would have:

[itex]\displaystyle f_{x}=x [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle f_{y}=2y [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle f_{z}=3z\ . [/itex]

Last edited:
So you have some partial of f with respect to some xk where :

fxk = kxk

For a varying constant k.

You want to find your original function f. What happens if you integrate here?

Note that xk refers to an INDEPENDENT variable. We could have chosen y, z, u, etc.

I realized that a few minutes after I posted it, my bad!

So we've got [itex]f_{x_k}=kx_x[/itex].

The function [itex]f[/itex] described by this set of partial derivatives should be in the form [itex]f(x_1, x_2, ... , x_n)[/itex], right? So I run into a bit of a snag when we integrate that partial.

If [itex]f_{x_1} = x_1[/itex], then
[itex]f(x_1, x_2, ... , x_n)[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}x_1^2 + g(x_2, ... x_n)[/itex]

If this is correct, then moving on:

[itex]f_{x_2}=g_{x_2}(x_2, x_3, ... , x_n)[/itex]

Implying:

[itex]g_{x_2}(x_2, x_3, ... , x_n) = 2x_2[/itex], right? And that:
[itex]g(x_2, x_3, ..., x_n) = x_2^2 + h(x_3, x_4, ... , x_n)[/itex]

Well, I did this process over a few times and I'm reaching a definite pattern here, that shows:

[itex]f(x_1, x_2, ... , x_n) = \frac{1}{2}x_1^2 + x_2^2 + \frac{3}{2}x_3^2 + 2x_3^2 + j(x_5, x_6, ... , x_n)[/itex].

Which seems to imply that

[itex]f(x_1, x_2, ... , x_n) = \frac{k}{2}x_k^2 +[/itex] some function of g. Of course, I realize I would have arrived at this exact expression if I had integrated the beginning expression, I just wanted to see where this process would lead me.

Now, an issue arises with the function of g afterwards. Should it be:

[itex]f(x_1, x_2, ... , x_n) = \frac{k}{2}x_k^2 + g(x_{k+1}, x_{k+2}, ... , x_n)[/itex]?

Have we arrived at the solution or is there some compact way to write the function of g? Or have I done it all wrong completely? :P Thanks!

Jormungandr said:

Well, I did this process over a few times and I'm reaching a definite pattern here, that shows:

[itex]f(x_1, x_2, ... , x_n) = \frac{1}{2}x_1^2 + x_2^2 + \frac{3}{2}x_3^2 + 2x_4^2 + j(x_5, x_6, ... , x_n)[/itex].

Have we arrived at the solution or is there some compact way to write the function of g? Or have I done it all wrong completely? :P Thanks!

It looks like you have:

[itex]\displaystyle f(x_1, x_2, ... , x_n) = \frac{1}{2}\left((x_1)^2 + 2(x_2)^2 + 3(x_3)^2 + 4(x_4)^2 + \dots\right)[/itex]

Where does it end?

Look at the mixed partial derivatives. As long as the derivatives are continuous, mixed partial derivatives, with the same derivatives in different order, must be equal.

For example, if [itex]f(x,y)= x^2+ 3xy+ y[/itex], [itex]f_x= 2x+ 3y[/itex] and [itex]f_y= 3x+ 1[/itex] so that, differentiating [itex]f_x[/itex] with respect to y, [itex]f_{xy}= 3[/itex] and, differentiating [itex]f_y[/itex] with respect to x, [itex]f_{yx}= 3[/itex].

If we are told that [itex]f_x= 3x+ 2y[/itex] and [itex]f_y= x- 2y[/itex], we know that is impossible because that gives [itex]f_{xy}= 2[/itex] and [itex]f_{yx}= 1[/itex] which are not equal.

Related to Given the partial derivatives, find the function or show it does not exist.

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus. They represent the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant.

2. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a function changes in multiple dimensions. They are also used in optimization problems, such as finding maximum or minimum values of a function.

3. How do you find partial derivatives?

To find a partial derivative, you take the derivative of a function with respect to one variable while treating all other variables as constants. This is done by using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule.

4. Can you find a function given its partial derivatives?

In most cases, yes, you can find a function given its partial derivatives. However, there are some cases where multiple functions can have the same partial derivatives, making it impossible to determine the exact function. In these cases, additional information is needed to find the specific function.

5. When does a function not have partial derivatives?

A function may not have partial derivatives if it is not continuous or has a sharp corner or discontinuity at a certain point. In these cases, the function is said to be non-differentiable and does not have well-defined partial derivatives.