Given the Volume, Find the Number of Atoms

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the average distance between rubber balls in a cube based on the total volume and number of balls. It was mentioned that the equation used assumes that the speed of plastic balls is similar to the average speed of rubber balls. The topic of mean free path in a gas was brought up, with the suggestion that the professor did not cover it in detail. However, the equation used in the conversation still yielded the correct answer.
asifion
Homework Statement
A mad engineer builds a cube, 2.5 m on a side, in which 6.2-cm-diameter rubber balls are constantly sent flying in random directions by vibrating walls. He will award a prize to anyone who can figure out how many balls are in the cube without entering it or taking out any of the balls. You decide to shoot 6.2-cm-diameter plastic balls into the cube, through a small hole, to see how far they get before colliding with a rubber ball. After many shots, you find they travel an average distance of 2.8 m. How many rubber balls do you think are in the cube?
Relevant Equations
not sure but: N/V=p/(k_B*T)
pV=nRT
V/N = distance between atoms?
So, I was thinking that the total volume of the cube divided by the number of atoms (or rubber balls) should intuitively give the average distance between each ball.

What I did was:
N = number of balls
D = avg distance between balls

(2.5)^3 / N = D
(2.5)^3 / D = N
D = 2.8 - 2 * radius (I'm assuming the given average distance is from center to center of each sphere)

2.5^3/(2.8-.062) = 5.7 balls

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you covered the topic of "mean free path" of molecules in a gas?

I think the problem should have stated that the speed at which you shoot the plastic balls is similar to the average speed of the rubber balls. (For example, if the plastic balls were fired at an extremely slow speed, they would hardly go any distance inside the box before being hit by a rubber ball.)

Likes asifion
TSny said:
Have you covered the topic of "mean free path" of molecules in a gas?

I think the problem should have stated that the speed at which you shoot the plastic balls is similar to the average speed of the rubber balls. (For example, if the plastic balls were fired at an extremely slow speed, they would hardly go any distance inside the box before being hit by a rubber ball.)

Yes we have, but I don't think the professor went into detail. But when using the equation, I get the correct answer. Thanks.

Mean free path in a gas is related to the number of molecules per unit volume.

Likes asifion

Related to Given the Volume, Find the Number of Atoms

1. How do you calculate the number of atoms from a given volume?

The number of atoms can be calculated by dividing the given volume by the volume of one atom. This can be found by using the formula for the volume of a sphere, V=4/3πr^3, where r is the radius of the atom. Once you have the volume of one atom, you can then multiply it by the given volume to get the number of atoms.

2. What units should be used for the given volume and resulting number of atoms?

The units used for the given volume and resulting number of atoms should be consistent. It is recommended to use the same units for both, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters. This will ensure that the calculation is accurate and easy to understand.

3. Can this calculation be used for any type of atom?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of atom as long as the volume of one atom is known. However, it is important to note that the volume of an atom can vary based on its state (solid, liquid, gas) and the conditions it is under (temperature, pressure).

4. How accurate is this calculation?

The accuracy of this calculation depends on the accuracy of the given volume and the volume of one atom. If these values are known to a high degree of precision, then the calculation will also be accurate. However, keep in mind that the volume of an atom can vary and there may be experimental errors in obtaining the given volume.

5. What is the significance of knowing the number of atoms in a given volume?

Knowing the number of atoms in a given volume is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry and physics. It can help in determining the density, mass, and other properties of a substance. It also allows for the understanding of the behavior and interactions of atoms, which can lead to advancements in technology and medicine.