Given two charges where to put thrid charge for zero net force

In summary, when q1 and q2 are opposite signs, adding 1 to either side of the equation will result in an imaginary number.
msbell1

Homework Statement

Two charges, q1 and q2, are separated by a distance r. Find the position at which a third charge, q3, can be placed so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law:
F = (kq1q2)/r122 * (r12hat)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to solve this for the general case, without making any assumptions about the relative signs of q1 and q2. However, this kind of turns into a mess (for me at least), so I changed my strategy. I now consider two cases. One is where q1q2>0 (they have the same sign. In this case, I know that q3 will have to be placed somewhere between q1 and q2. This gives me (after assigning q1 to the origin, and q2 to x=r, and placing q3 at position x),

(kq1q3)/x^2 = (kq2q3)/(r-x)^2

Solving this for x, I find:
x = [(q1 (+or-) sqrt(q1q2))/(q1-q2)]*r

This looks kind of ok, except, what happens when q1=q2? That doesn't make any sense. It would look better if it was (q1+q2) in the denominator. Then I thought maybe I messed up a sign in my original equation, so I tried

(kq1q3)/x^2 = -(kq2q3)/(r-x)^2

(I just put a minus sign in front of the term on the RHS.) This equation actually seems like it should be appropriate when q1q2<0 (the have opposite signs). Solving this gives:

x = [(q1 (+or-) sqrt(-q1q2))/(q1+q2)]r,

and this equation has perfect behavior for the case where it is valid, when q1q2<0.

Can anyone see what I did wrong in the first solution? I know if q1=q2 I should get x=r/2, not x=∞. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
(kq1q3)/x^2 = (kq2q3)/(r-x)^2 [1]

Solving this for x, I find:
x = [(q1 (+or-) sqrt(q1q2))/(q1-q2)]*r [2]
I like this part.
In the middle step when you cross multiply and put in the form ax² + bx + c = 0
you can see that when q1 = q2, it is not a quadratic so for that case you would have to do something other than [2] to solve it. Check to see if it works out to x = r/2.
Maybe it works for q1 and q2 having opposite signs, too.

Thank you very much! I see that now! If I try this when q2 = -q1, I find
x = [(1 (+or-) sqrt(-1))/2]*r. Since this is imaginary, I guess this indicates that there is no solution between q1 and q2 when their signs are opposite, which is true.

Most welcome! Did you try q1 = 4, q2 = -1, q3 = 1? That should show if it works for q3 to the right of q2.

It seems like you have made a mistake in your first solution. When considering the case where q1 and q2 have the same sign, the equation should be (kq1q3)/x^2 = -(kq2q3)/(r-x)^2, since the forces on q3 will be in opposite directions. This will lead to the correct solution of x = (q1 + q2)r / (q1 - q2). Additionally, when q1 = q2, the solution should be x = r/2, as you mentioned.

1. Where should the third charge be placed to achieve a zero net force?

The third charge should be placed on the same line as the first two charges, but at a distance that is equal to the distance between the first two charges multiplied by the ratio of their magnitudes. This can be calculated using Coulomb's Law.

2. Is it possible to have a zero net force with any combination of charges?

Yes, it is possible. If the third charge is placed at the appropriate distance and has the correct magnitude, the forces from all three charges will cancel out, resulting in a zero net force.

3. Can the third charge be placed in any direction?

Yes, the third charge can be placed in any direction as long as it is on the same line as the other two charges. However, the distance and magnitude of the third charge must be calculated carefully to achieve a zero net force.

4. What is the formula for calculating the distance and magnitude of the third charge?

The formula is: r3 = (q1/q2) * r, where r3 is the distance of the third charge from the first two charges, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the first two charges, and r is the distance between the first two charges.

5. Can the third charge be placed at any distance from the first two charges?

No, the distance of the third charge must be carefully calculated to achieve a zero net force. If the distance is too close or too far, the forces will not cancel out and there will be a net force on the system.