Glancing Elastic Collision Questionnaire

In summary, the Velocity of MB is 4.47m/s. The main issue right now for the protagonist is getting the angles. They are really confused on what most people have been posting as they did not get a groundwork on this topic and so most of the basics they learned themselves. Squaring and adding the equations for momentum eliminated y from the equations. Another approach is to work with the momentum vectors which is what the protagonist tried first. Using the given data and conservation of kinetic energy, they found the final speed of B to be 4.47m/s. If the velocity of MB was greater than 4m/s, there is a fault with the question Can someone correct me if this is wrong?
Mysterio
Homework Statement
In an elastic solution involving two masses A=0.5kg and B=0.3kg on a frictionless table. Mass A has an initial velocity of 4m/s in the positive x-direction and a final velocity of 2m/s in an unknown direction, while Mass B is initially at rest. Find the final speed of Mass B and the direction of masses after collision.
Relevant Equations
MAUi = M1V1Cosx + M2V2Cosy
0 = M1Vi1Sinx - M2V2Siny
I was able to solve for the velocity of MB and got my answer as 4.47m/s.
The main issue right now for me is how to get the angles. I'm really confused on what most people have been posting as we didn't get a groundwork on this topic and so most of the basics I had them self taught.
So far I stopped at:
(0.5*4) = (0.5*2*Cosx) + (0.3*4.47*Cosy)
(0.3*4.47)Siny = (O.5*2*Siny)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try squaring each equation and then adding them together. You should end up with an equation that will allow you to solve for ##\cos(x+y)##.

vela said:
Try squaring each equation and then adding them together. You should end up with an equation that will allow you to solve for ##\cos(x+y)##.
True, but that only finds x+y.
A more obvious approach, to me, is to get each equation so that on one side there is only the term involving, say, y. Now squaring and adding eliminates y.

haruspex said:
True, but that only finds x+y. A more obvious approach, to me, is to get each equation so that on one side there is only the term involving, say, y. Now squaring and adding eliminates y.
Yeah, that's a better approach.

Another approach is to work with the momentum vectors. Let ##\vec p## be the initial momentum of A, and ##\vec p_A## and ##\vec p_B## be the final momenta of A and B, respectively. Then ##\vec p = \vec p_A + \vec p_B##. Squaring this equation was my approach above. But isolating ##\vec p_B## first and then squaring amounts to your suggestion.

Using the given data and conservation of kinetic energy (since it's an elastic collision), gives the final speed of B as 4.47m/s - agreed,

But for an elastic collision with a stationary object, I think the final speed of the initially stationary object cannot be greater than the impact speed. This would mean B’s final speed can’t more than 4m/s.

If so, there is a fault with the question Can someone correct me if this is wrong?

Steve4Physics said:
the final speed of the initially stationary object cannot be greater than the impact speed.
Try a square on collision with the incoming object having the greater mass.

Likes Steve4Physics
haruspex said:
Try a square on collision with the incoming object having the greater mass.
Thank you @haruspex. I’m being silly. Too much food perhaps.

EDIT2. Got it. Apologies for diverting thread off-topic.

Last edited:

1. What is a glancing elastic collision?

A glancing elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both objects are moving and their kinetic energy is conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects will continue moving in different directions with the same total amount of kinetic energy.

2. How is a glancing elastic collision different from other types of collisions?

In a glancing elastic collision, the objects involved do not stick together or deform upon impact. This is in contrast to inelastic collisions where the objects stick together or deform, and completely elastic collisions where there is no deformation or loss of kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a glancing elastic collision?

The outcome of a glancing elastic collision is affected by the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved. The angle of collision plays a significant role in determining the direction and magnitude of the objects' velocities after the collision.

4. Can the kinetic energy of the objects change in a glancing elastic collision?

No, the kinetic energy of the objects involved in a glancing elastic collision remains constant. This is because elastic collisions are considered to be ideal, meaning there is no loss of energy due to friction or other external forces.

5. How is the conservation of momentum applied in a glancing elastic collision?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In a glancing elastic collision, the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision must be equal, meaning the sum of the objects' individual momentums must be the same before and after the collision.