Gland and Seal for Brake Hydraulics Question

In summary: Your name]In summary, the individual is seeking help with rebuilding a vintage brake hydraulic system that contains a pressure differential unit with a dynamic piston and seals. They have questions about the design of the piston gland or seal groove and the use of O-rings or conical section rings in the system. They are also open to any other insights or observations.
spitty
Greetings,
I'd like to solicit assistance relative to a brake hydraulic system. I am rebuilding a vintage system that contains a pressure differential unit. The unit contains a dynamic piston with seals in a fixed bore. The seals are intended to keep fluid outboard of them in the bore.
I have several questions:
1. The piston gland or seal groove has a tapered bottom (see image), i.e. it is not orthogonal to the groove walls. Is this typical? If so, why?

The seals--now over 45 years old--appear to be 'square rings' (see image), but early line drawings seem to suggest that they originally had a conical cross-section with the larger diameter--the conical base--facing the fluid. I may be seeing compression set in the ring making them appear to be square rings.

2. My questions are: Would O-rings be effective in this application? Would a backup ring be appropriate? Is there a source for standard sized conical section rings? Would a square ring be preferred to an O-ring? http://s1342.beta.photobucket.com/user/krausepa/media/oring_zpsdf3c2919.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I'd appreciate any other comments or observations.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

Attachments

• gland.JPG
    gland.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 414
  • o ring.JPG
    o ring.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 454
Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear Paul,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your brake hydraulic system. I understand the importance of precision and functionality in such systems, and I am happy to offer my insights and suggestions.

To address your first question, it is not uncommon for the piston gland or seal groove to have a tapered bottom. This design allows for better sealing and prevents any potential leakage between the piston and the bore. The taper creates a wedging effect as the pressure increases, pushing the seal further into the groove and creating a tighter seal. This design is also beneficial for preventing any debris or contaminants from entering the system.

Regarding your second question, O-rings can be effective in this application, but it is important to ensure that the size and material of the O-ring are suitable for your specific system. Backup rings can also be used to provide additional support and prevent extrusion of the O-ring under high pressure. There are also conical section rings available in standard sizes, and they may be a better option for your vintage system. I would recommend consulting with a supplier or manufacturer to determine the best option for your specific system.

Lastly, in terms of square rings versus O-rings, both can be effective in certain applications. Square rings may be preferred in situations where there is a large gap between the piston and the bore, as they can better fill the gap and provide a tighter seal. However, O-rings are more commonly used in hydraulic systems and can be more readily available in various sizes and materials.

I hope this information helps with your project. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.

1. What is the purpose of a gland and seal in brake hydraulics?

A gland and seal in brake hydraulics are used to prevent fluid from leaking out of the system and to keep contaminants from entering. They create a tight seal between moving parts, ensuring that the brake system functions properly and safely.

2. How often should the gland and seal be replaced in a brake system?

It is recommended to replace the gland and seal in a brake system every 2-3 years or every 30,000-50,000 miles. However, if you notice any leaks or damage to the gland and seal, it should be replaced immediately.

3. What are the signs of a faulty gland and seal in a brake system?

Some common signs of a faulty gland and seal in a brake system include fluid leaks, a soft or spongy brake pedal, and unusual noises while braking. These issues can lead to decreased braking performance and should be addressed promptly.

4. Can I replace the gland and seal on my own or should I take my car to a mechanic?

Replacing the gland and seal in a brake system can be a complex task and requires some knowledge of brake systems. It is recommended to take your car to a mechanic for this type of repair to ensure it is done correctly and safely.

5. Is it necessary to replace the entire gland and seal or can I just replace the seal?

In most cases, it is recommended to replace the entire gland and seal as they are designed to work together and a damaged seal can indicate wear on the gland as well. However, if the seal is the only part that is damaged, it may be possible to just replace the seal. It is best to consult a mechanic for the best course of action.