Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gland and Seal for Brake Hydraulics Question

1. Dec 26, 2012 #1
    Greetings,
    I'd like to solicit assistance relative to a brake hydraulic system. I am rebuilding a vintage system that contains a pressure differential unit. The unit contains a dynamic piston with seals in a fixed bore. The seals are intended to keep fluid outboard of them in the bore.
    I have several questions:
    1. The piston gland or seal groove has a tapered bottom (see image), i.e. it is not orthogonal to the groove walls. Is this typical? If so, why?

The seals--now over 45 years old--appear to be 'square rings' (see image), but early line drawings seem to suggest that they originally had a conical cross-section with the larger diameter--the conical base--facing the fluid. I may be seeing compression set in the ring making them appear to be square rings.

2. My questions are: Would O-rings be effective in this application? Would a backup ring be appropriate? Is there a source for standard sized conical section rings? Would a square ring be preferred to an O-ring? http://s1342.beta.photobucket.com/user/krausepa/media/oring_zpsdf3c2919.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I'd appreciate any other comments or observations.

Thanks in advance.
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted