Global Warming: What Happens to Day Length if South Pole Melts?

In summary, the question poses a hypothetical scenario where the South polar ice cap melts completely due to global warming. The conversation discusses the potential effects of this scenario on the length of the day. After analyzing the choices, it is determined that the most likely outcome would be a slightly longer day due to the redistribution of mass and increase in moment of inertia. However, it is also acknowledged that this scenario is exaggerated and the melting of ice caps would have a very insignificant effect on the rotation of the Earth.
hy23

Homework Statement

I swear this is the weirdest question I've encountered: If the South polar ice cap melts completely due to global warming, then what do you expect to happen to the length of the day?

2.Choices
a. It will get slightly longer
b. It will get slightly shorter
c. It will not change, but the year will slightly change length
d. It will only change if the North polar ice also melts
e. there will be no change at all

Physics news on Phys.org
hy23 said:

Homework Statement

I swear this is the weirdest question I've encountered: If the South polar ice cap melts completely due to global warming, then what do you expect to happen to the length of the day?

2.Choices

You should know by now that you are required to show your own work before we can offer tutorial help.

What do you think are the best choices, and why? If the polar cap melts, what happens to the mass and its distribution? What effect(s) would that have?

Sure. Well here's my analysis. The length of the year depends on how fast the Earth revolves around the sun, even after the ice cap melts, the mass of the Earth should remain unchanged and so Earth's revolution should remain unchanged, so c is probably wrong. The length of the day is dependent on how fast the Earth rotates on its axis, the south ice cap is enormous, originally all the mass of the ice is at the south pole, melting leads to this mass being distributed across the earth, so the moment of inertia of the Earth may increase, leading to slower rotation and a slightly longer day?

That's my best guess.

hy23 said:

Sure. Well here's my analysis. The length of the year depends on how fast the Earth revolves around the sun, even after the ice cap melts, the mass of the Earth should remain unchanged and so Earth's revolution should remain unchanged, so c is probably wrong. The length of the day is dependent on how fast the Earth rotates on its axis, the south ice cap is enormous, originally all the mass of the ice is at the south pole, melting leads to this mass being distributed across the earth, so the moment of inertia of the Earth may increase, leading to slower rotation and a slightly longer day?

That's my best guess.

That would be my take on the question as well. Good reasoning. Do you know if it's right?

actually I don't know if it's right.

more importantly though, I think this question is probably exaggerated to emphasize the physical concepts of rotation and gravitation...but realistically, the melting of ice caps will not affect (or is too insignificant to affect) the rotation of the Earth right?

hy23 said:
actually I don't know if it's right.

more importantly though, I think this question is probably exaggerated to emphasize the physical concepts of rotation and gravitation...but realistically, the melting of ice caps will not affect (or is too insignificant to affect) the rotation of the Earth right?

Agreed. Very insignificant.

Related to Global Warming: What Happens to Day Length if South Pole Melts?

1. What causes the South Pole to melt?

The South Pole is melting due to the increase in global temperatures caused by the emission of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, into the atmosphere. These gases trap heat from the sun, leading to a rise in global temperatures and the melting of polar ice caps.

2. How will the melting of the South Pole impact day length?

As the South Pole continues to melt, the sea levels will rise, leading to the displacement of water and a change in the Earth's rotation. This will cause a slight decrease in the length of the day, as the Earth's rotation will slow down.

3. Will the melting of the South Pole affect only the Southern Hemisphere?

No, the melting of the South Pole will have global impacts on the Earth's climate and weather patterns. The rise in sea levels will affect coastlines all over the world, and changes in the Earth's rotation will impact the length of days and seasons in both hemispheres.

4. How will the melting of the South Pole affect ecosystems?

The melting of the South Pole will have a significant impact on ecosystems, particularly in polar regions. The loss of sea ice will disrupt the habitats of many species, and rising sea levels will cause flooding and erosion in coastal areas. This can lead to the displacement and extinction of certain species.

5. What can we do to slow down the melting of the South Pole?

To slow down the melting of the South Pole, we need to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, primarily through the use of renewable energy sources. We also need to take steps to protect and preserve polar regions, such as reducing pollution and implementing sustainable tourism practices.