Preparing for Physics/Computer Science: Good Math Books?

In summary, the individual is interested in studying Physics or Computer Science, but their math skills are not strong enough. They have a year to improve their math skills and are wondering what books to use and if they should do additional reading. A recommended book is "Basic mathematics" by Serge Lang, which covers all the necessary math topics before starting calculus. The individual is also advised to watch Khan Academy videos.
hzp
I want to get into studying Physics or Computer Science. Only problem is my math really isn't good enough, but I have a year to fix that. I only did General Mathematics in high school.
So what books would you recommend? Should I buy the textbooks from the advanced mathematics classes and work through them? Should I do any further reading beyond that?

Thank you.
And I'm new to the forums, sorry if this isn't the best place to ask, I didn't want to bother the math forums with such a simple question.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good math book is "Basic mathematics" by Serge Lang. It contains everything about math that you need to know before starting on calculus. So I recommend that you get that book and look at it. If you think you understand everything (and if you want to go into physics, then you'll need to understand everything in the book), then you can go to calculus.

I also recommend watching Khan academy video's. They are simply great.

Yes Khan Academy is great!

Thanks, I will check out that book :)

1. What are the best math books for preparing for physics and computer science?

Some of the best math books for preparing for physics and computer science are: "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Introduction to Algorithms" by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, and Clifford Stein, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, and "Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science" by Ronald L. Graham, Donald E. Knuth, and Oren Patashnik.

2. Are there any math books specifically focused on preparing for computer science?

Yes, there are several math books specifically focused on preparing for computer science. Some examples include "Introduction to the Theory of Computation" by Michael Sipser, "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth H. Rosen, and "The Art of Computer Programming" by Donald E. Knuth.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to excel in physics and computer science?

While a strong math background can be helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement to excel in physics and computer science. Having a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and a willingness to learn and practice is more important.

4. Can I rely solely on math books to prepare for physics and computer science?

No, it is recommended to supplement math books with other resources, such as lectures, practice problems, and hands-on projects. This will help you to better understand and apply the concepts you are learning.

5. Are there any online resources for preparing for physics and computer science?

Yes, there are many online resources available for preparing for physics and computer science, including video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, Coursera, and Codeacademy.