Good Textbook for Nuclear science?

In summary: Hi friend,I've been wondering if there are any good books on introductory quantum mechanics for someone who wants to study nuclear engineering. Specifically, I'm looking for a book that covers the basics of quantum mechanics, but that's not too difficult to read.There are a few books that might fit this description, but they vary in terms of how much quantum mechanics they include. Some books, like Max Born's Atomic Physics, are specifically designed for nuclear engineers, while other books, like Krane's Introductory Nuclear Physics, are more general and are appropriate for both nuclear engineers and physicists. Ultimately, the best decision depends on what you're specifically looking for in a book.
Jewish_Vulcan
I am close to finishing learning calculus on my own, I am reading quick calculus
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20
And I finished reading Merrill Physics and Principles(really liked the book) although I am still taking general physics class in HS.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0028267214/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I am a little behind on chemistry so I will read this textbook and I am still taking General Chemsitry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471121207/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Do I meet the requirements to understand the type of content in a nuclear physics textbook? PLEASE ;____; give me some suggestions for good nuclear science books, in particular I am looking for one that is good like the merrill physics book which includes many problems, science explanations and applications to science explained.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nuclear physics is studied at the graduate level, although sometimes it is introduced at the advanced undergraduate level. So you have 3-4 more years of study to go.

I think Lamarsh would be a good start for the basics, it is undergrad level although you will need to have experience with basic differential equations to really get into it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201824981/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes lonely_nucleus
Krane Introductory Nuclear Physics is the "classic" introductory book for nuclear physics. It's a little old fashioned these days, but it's still what I turn to if I need to look up any basics, and what I recommend. It's also readily available. Nuclear Physics: Principles and Applications by Lilley is less old fashioned, cheaper and a bit of an easier read than Krane. I don't like it as much, but it's pretty good.

If you want a little particle physics as well, there is Martin Nuclear and Particle Physics: An Introduction, which is also pretty ok. Introduction to Nuclear and Particle Physics by Das and Ferbel is also good.

These are all nuclear physics texts, of course, unlike QuantumPion's suggestion, which is nuclear engineering.

ETA: You do absolutely require some quantum mechanics though to study nuclear science. After all, nuclear physics is the ultimate example of a finite quantum system.

Likes lonely_nucleus and mmont012
e.bar.goum said:
Krane Introductory Nuclear Physics is the "classic" introductory book for nuclear physics. It's a little old fashioned these days, but it's still what I turn to if I need to look up any basics, and what I recommend. It's also readily available. Nuclear Physics: Principles and Applications by Lilley is less old fashioned, cheaper and a bit of an easier read than Krane. I don't like it as much, but it's pretty good.

If you want a little particle physics as well, there is Martin Nuclear and Particle Physics: An Introduction, which is also pretty ok. Introduction to Nuclear and Particle Physics by Das and Ferbel is also good.

These are all nuclear physics texts, of course, unlike QuantumPion's suggestion, which is nuclear engineering.

ETA: You do absolutely require some quantum mechanics though to study nuclear science. After all, nuclear physics is the ultimate example of a finite quantum system.
Hi friend, how much quantum mechanics is necessary for nuclear engineering? Do you know of any good books that will fulfill the requirements for quantum mechanics in nuclear engineering? I have heard of Max Born's book on atomic physics, would it be sufficient?

lonely_nucleus said:
Hi friend, how much quantum mechanics is necessary for nuclear engineering? Do you know of any good books that will fulfill the requirements for quantum mechanics in nuclear engineering? I have heard of Max Born's book on atomic physics, would it be sufficient?

For undergrad level nuclear engineering and practical applications, quantum mechanics does not come into play at all.

QuantumPion said:
For undergrad level nuclear engineering and practical applications, quantum mechanics does not come into play at all.
cool beans friend, thank you very much for all of your outstanding replies.

I found Glasstone & Sessonske's "Nuclear Reactor Engineering" easier to digest than Lamarsch.

A beginner might prefer the older edition(early 1960's) with a Yankee plant on front cover (spherical containment). It leans toward the practical , especially the chapter on instrumentation which is notably missing in later editions.

$_35.JPG

there's one on ebay now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141622200893?lpid=82&chn=ps

Likes lonely_nucleus
The answer depends on what aspect of nuclear science or engineering in which one is interested. There are numerous texts on introductory nuclear physics, which either incorporate some basic material on special relativity and quantum physics/mechanics, which are appropriate for undergraduates, or slightly more advanced texts for graduates, which assume one has a physics degree.

Nuclear reactor physics or nuclear reactor engineering is quite different from nuclear and particle physics, although there are common elements. I agree with e.bar.goum his recommendations.

I have a number of Glasstone books, including Glasstone & Sesonske, and Bell and Glasstone. Books that involve transport theory are much more complicated than those that do not. Many older texts in nuclear engineering limit themselves to diffusion theory, which is easier to master.

Astronuc said:
The answer depends on what aspect of nuclear science or engineering in which one is interested. There are numerous texts on introductory nuclear physics, which either incorporate some basic material on special relativity and quantum physics/mechanics, which are appropriate for undergraduates, or slightly more advanced texts for graduates, which assume one has a physics degree.

Nuclear reactor physics or nuclear reactor engineering is quite different from nuclear and particle physics, although there are common elements. I agree with e.bar.goum his recommendations.

I have a number of Glasstone books, including Glasstone & Sesonske, and Bell and Glasstone. Books that involve transport theory are much more complicated than those that do not. Many older texts in nuclear engineering limit themselves to diffusion theory, which is easier to master.
Would glasstone be the better option for nuclear engineering? Will diffusion theory do a good job explaining how nuclear devices work and how to build them? I have little expeirence in nuclear engineering, I think I
should read glasstone's books first and then go on to read more complicated texts like https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201824981/?tag=pfamazon01-20
wil books that include transport theory still include diffusion theory?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Glasstone books are old - 1950-1970. Bell and Glasstone (1970) addresses transport theory. Lamarsh may be a better book; chapter 4 discusses nuclear reactors and nuclear fuel.

lonely_nucleus said:
Will diffusion theory do a good job explaining how nuclear devices work and how to build them?
What does one mean by devices?

The heart of a nuclear reactor is the nuclear fuel. Books like Lamarsh deal more with theory than application. Examples of fuel management are generally limited to first cores. Fuel element design and core design are not addressed in detail, except in specialized courses or on the job.

If one is interested in nuclear engineering, it would be best to obtain a university degree in nuclear engineering where one learns about the nuclear science and engineering aspects of nuclear energy/systems.

Nuclear Reactor Design (a relatively modern book)
http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-4-431-54898-0

http://www.springer.com/us/book/9784431548973 (see download sample pages - some good references there)

Last edited:
Likes lonely_nucleus
lonely_nucleus said:
Would glasstone be the better option for nuclear engineering? Will diffusion theory do a good job explaining how nuclear devices work and how to build them? I have little expeirence in nuclear engineering, I think I
should read glasstone's books first and then go on to read more complicated texts like https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201824981/?tag=pfamazon01-20
wil books that include transport theory still include diffusion theory?

I don't know that Lamarsh is "more complicated" than "Glasstone." They are both introductory texts. Lamarsh is the standard introductory textbook for nuclear engineers.

Neutron transport is only part of the design/operation of a nuclear reactor. DIffusion theory is an approximation of kinetic transport. Its very useful in understand neutron transport, but it has limitations.

Yes most good texts on transport cover diffusion theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes lonely_nucleus

What are the key concepts covered in a good textbook for Nuclear science?

A good textbook for Nuclear science should cover key concepts such as atomic structure, nuclear reactions, nuclear energy, nuclear decay, and nuclear fusion.

What are some recommended textbooks for learning Nuclear science?

Some recommended textbooks for learning Nuclear science include "Introductory Nuclear Physics" by Kenneth S. Krane, "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" by James J. Duderstadt and Louis J. Hamilton, and "Fundamentals of Nuclear Reactor Physics" by Elmer E. Lewis.

What are the best study techniques for understanding Nuclear science?

The best study techniques for understanding Nuclear science include actively reading the textbook, taking notes and summarizing key concepts, practicing problems and equations, and seeking clarification from a teacher or tutor if needed.

Can a good textbook for Nuclear science be used for self-study?

Yes, a good textbook for Nuclear science can be used for self-study, but it is important to have a strong understanding of math and physics concepts beforehand and to actively engage with the material.

How can I determine if a textbook for Nuclear science is reliable and up-to-date?

You can determine if a textbook for Nuclear science is reliable and up-to-date by checking the author's credentials, publication date, and any reviews or endorsements from other experts in the field.