GR - Lie Derivative of metric - Killing Equation

In summary, we have shown that in order for the equation \nabla_\mu W_\nu =0 to hold, the Lie derivative must vanish which implies we are working in Minkowski space-time. We have also shown that k=-1 in this case.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question attached.
hell.png

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

I'm not really sure how to work with what is given in the question without introducing my knowledge on lie derivatives.

We have: ##(L_ug)_{uv} = U^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}g_{uv}+g_{u\alpha}\nabla_vU^{\alpha}+g_{\alpha v}\nabla_u U^{\alpha}##

Where ##L_u## denotes the lie derivative in the direction of ##u##

Where the first term vanishes on the assumption of a levi-civita connection by the fundamental theorem of riemmanian geometry. ##U^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}g_{uv}= U^{\alpha}(\partial_{\alpha}g_{uv} + \Gamma^{c}_{\alpha v} g_{uc} + \Gamma^{c}_{\alpha u} g_{vc}) ##

And so the fact that ##w^u \partial_u g_{ab} =0 \implies \partial_t g_{ab} =0 ## vanishes here, implies that the connection terms vanish (here I need an argument that they vanish individually, and that the sum can not vanish) I can then conclude that this implies we are working in Minkowski space-time.

And I can then use my the following knowledge on Lie derivatives to obtain an answer:

##w^u \partial_u g_{ab} =0 \implies \partial_t g_{ab} =0 ## ; i.e. the metric has no ##t## dependence so I know that this means that the Lie derivative (1) vanishes:

And then I have

##(L_ug)_{uv} =0= g_{u\alpha}\nabla_vU^{\alpha}+g_{\alpha v}\nabla_u U^{\alpha}=\nabla_vU_u+\nabla_u U_v##

##\implies k=-1 ##

However the question makes no reference to the requirement of needing Lie derivative, so I'm not too sure about what I've done here,

Can I start from first principles more? Any hint appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what I think is one way. Consider [tex] \nabla_\mu W_\nu = \partial_\mu W_\nu -\Gamma^s_{\nu \mu} W_s = \partial_\mu W_\nu -\tfrac12 W_s g^{s \sigma} ( \partial_\mu g_{\sigma \nu } + \partial_\nu g_{\sigma \mu} - \partial_\sigma g_{\nu \mu}) = \partial_\mu W_\nu -\tfrac12 W^\sigma ( \partial_\mu g_{\sigma \nu } + \partial_\nu g_{\sigma \mu} - \partial_\sigma g_{\nu \mu}) = \partial_\mu W_\nu -\tfrac12 W^\sigma ( \partial_\mu g_{\sigma \nu } + \partial_\nu g_{\sigma \mu}) [/tex]
where the last term vanishes by assumption. Now since [itex] W^\mu = (1,0,0,0) [/itex], [itex] W_\mu = g_{\nu \mu} W^\nu = g_{0 \mu}[/itex]. Therefore the equation can be rewritten as [tex] \partial_\mu W_\nu -\tfrac12 W^\sigma ( \partial_\mu g_{\sigma \nu } + \partial_\nu g_{\sigma \mu}) = \partial_\mu g_{0 \nu} - \tfrac12 ( \partial_\mu g_{0 \nu} + \partial_\nu g_{0 \mu}) = \tfrac12 \partial_\mu g_{0 \nu} - \tfrac12 \partial_\nu g_{0 \mu}. [/tex] It is easy to check that [itex] \nabla_\nu W_\mu = -(\tfrac12 \partial_\mu g_{0 \nu} - \tfrac12 \partial_\nu g_{0 \mu}) [/itex], so [itex]k=-1[/itex] as expected.

Likes binbagsss

1. What is the GR - Lie Derivative of metric?

The GR - Lie Derivative of metric is a mathematical tool used in General Relativity to measure the change of a tensor field along a vector field. It is denoted by Lvgab, where v is the vector field and gab is the metric tensor.

2. What does the Killing Equation represent?

The Killing Equation is a set of equations that describe the infinitesimal isometries of a given space. In simpler terms, it represents the symmetries of a space that leave the metric tensor unchanged. Solutions to the Killing Equation are known as Killing vectors.

3. How is the GR - Lie Derivative of metric related to the Killing Equation?

One of the main applications of the GR - Lie Derivative of metric is in solving the Killing Equation. In fact, the GR - Lie Derivative of metric is often used to prove that a vector field is a Killing vector by showing that it satisfies the Killing Equation.

4. What are the properties of the GR - Lie Derivative of metric?

The GR - Lie Derivative of metric has several important properties, including linearity, Leibniz rule, and commutativity with the exterior derivative. It also satisfies the Jacobi identity, which is crucial in solving the Killing Equation.

5. How is the GR - Lie Derivative of metric used in practical applications?

The GR - Lie Derivative of metric has many practical applications in General Relativity, including in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and cosmology. It is also used in the development of numerical relativity algorithms and in the theoretical analysis of the behavior of matter and energy in curved spacetime.