Calculating Tarzan's Height on a Vine at 8.0 m/s - Grade 11 Question

• Thread starter LiquidIce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grade 11
In summary, the question is about Tarzan running and jumping onto a vine with a speed of 8.0 m/s. The goal is to find out how high above the bottom of his swing he will go. To solve this, we can use the equation COE (Conservation of Energy) and substitute the known values into it. The final equation will be 0= -.5mvi^2 + mgzf, where vf=0 at the top of the swing and zi=0 in the reference frame. Solving for zf, we can determine the height above the bottom of the swing. Additionally, it was mentioned that Tarzan's mass is 60kg, which is also needed for the calculation.
LiquidIce
The question is something like this I am not sure exactly because it was on my test.

Tarzan is running at 8.0 m/s and jumps onto a vine. How high above the bottom of his swing will he go ?

Plz help i have no clue how to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
Put what you have into a COE equation.
0= .5mvf^2 - .5 mvi^2 + mgzf - mgzi

vf=0 at top of swing
zi=0 in my reference frame

so 0= -.5 mvi^2 + mgzf

and solve for zf.

um...whats zf stand for

What you are looking for. (How high above the bottom of his swing will he go)

You know what the others stand for right?

i just found out that they also gave the mass of tarzan in the question the mass is 60kg

1. How do you calculate Tarzan's height on a vine at 8.0 m/s?

The calculation for Tarzan's height on a vine at 8.0 m/s involves using the equation h = (v^2)/(2g), where h is the height, v is the velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Plug in the values to get h = (8.0 m/s)^2/(2*9.8 m/s^2) = 3.27 meters.

2. Can Tarzan's height on a vine at 8.0 m/s be affected by other factors?

Yes, Tarzan's height on a vine at 8.0 m/s can be affected by factors such as the length and strength of the vine, Tarzan's weight and strength, and any external forces acting on the vine. These factors can alter the velocity and acceleration of Tarzan, ultimately affecting his height on the vine.

3. Is it possible for Tarzan's height on a vine at 8.0 m/s to change?

Yes, it is possible for Tarzan's height on a vine at 8.0 m/s to change. As mentioned before, external factors can affect his height. Additionally, as Tarzan swings on the vine, he may adjust his body position or use his arms to propel himself, which can also alter his height on the vine.

4. How accurate is the calculation for Tarzan's height on a vine at 8.0 m/s?

The accuracy of the calculation for Tarzan's height on a vine at 8.0 m/s depends on the accuracy of the given values and the assumption that Tarzan's motion is in a perfect parabolic path. In reality, there may be slight variations due to external factors and the actual motion of Tarzan.

5. Is there a minimum or maximum height that Tarzan can reach on a vine at 8.0 m/s?

There is no minimum or maximum height that Tarzan can reach on a vine at 8.0 m/s. As long as the vine is strong enough and there are no obstacles in his path, Tarzan can reach any height within the limitations of his physical abilities and the laws of physics.