1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient Vector Problem

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a hill the elevation in meters is given by z=10 + .5x +.25y + .5xy - .25x^2 -.5y^2, where x is the distance east and y is the distance north of the origin.

a.) How steep is the hill at x=y=1 i.e. what is the angle between a vector perpendicular to the hill and the z axis?

b.)In which compass direction is the slope at x=y=1 steepest? Indicate whether the angle you provide is the angle measured in the standard way in the counter-clockwise direction from the x axis (east) or whether it is the compass azimuth.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a.) So I got the gradient to be ∇f(x,y,z)= .5i - .25j...simply by the definition of the gradient. So i figured to figure the angle between the gradient and the z axis i could use the formula cosθ= (A dotted into B)/(lAl*lBl) but wouldn't be the z axis be the unit vector in the k hat direction making the cosθ=0...which can't be right. Any help on what to do? Also, I was given an equation that says ∇f(x,y,z) perpendicular to a 3 dimensional surface f(x,y,z) = constant. But I don't know how to use that equation to generate an answer.

b.)The gradient gives you the direction of the quickest altitude ascension (at least for this problem) so how do I use what I calculated for the gradient to answer this part?

Thanks for any help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Think of the altitude as a potential in 2 dimensions, just x and y. So ∇ is ?

4. Jan 13, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

grad z gives you the x-y direction of steepest ascent, but now you have to ask yourself: when going in that direction, how much does dz change when you go a distance ds in the aforederived direction.

Think about how the x and y components of the gradient at your point (1,1) tell you what dz/ds would be.

P.S. the angle the problem asks for happens to be (90 deg - the steepness angle). Also, once you did (a) you already have (b). In fact, (b) should come first ... at least the way I look at it. Probably you were not supposed to solve for grad z for part (a) ... I don't know.

5. Jan 13, 2013 #4
    Dear Rude Man,

Very nice job of doping it out. That's exactly the way I would have done it, including doing part (b) first.

Chet

6. Jan 13, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks Chet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook