Graph: difference between cycle & circuit

In summary, the difference between a cycle and a circuit is that a cycle is a closed path where neither edges nor vertices may repeat (except for the start and finish vertex), while a circuit is a closed path where vertices may repeat but not edges. The path listed in the conversation is a cycle, as it goes through all the vertices without repeating any (ABCEFDA). An example of a circuit that is not a cycle is a figure eight (DBCDAFD).
zak100

Homework Statement

What is the difference between a cycle & a circuit? (Definition not reqd, guidance reqd with the figure attached)

Homework Equations

No

The Attempt at a Solution

See the attached figure. According to this figure the walk AB, BC, CE, EF, FD, DA represents a cycle or not because we have a repeated vertex B?? (in my view its not a cycle because we have a repeated vertex in the middle).However it represents a circuit because there is no repeated edge.
Some body please guide me whether i am correct or not & give an example of cycle from the figure. Sorry for the picture not fitting with size. I have created it on paint & then saved it but i don't know how to get rid of extra white space.

Zulfi.
cycle & circuit diff2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Both cycles and circuits are closed paths, meaning they end at the same vertex as where they started.
For a circuit, vertices may be repeat but not edges.
For a cycle, neither edges nor vertices may repeat (except that the start vertex is the same as the finish vertex).
Hence all cycles are circuits, but not vice versa.

The path listed above is a cycle (and hence also a circuit).
Why do you think it has a repeated vertex? As I read your post it goes ABCEFDA, so there are no repeated vertices (there are six vertices and six edges).

An example of a circuit that is not a cycle would be a figure eight, such as DBCDAFD

Hi,
Thanks. Good Answer.
<Why do you think it has a repeated vertex? >

Actually i was using the whole edge. Now i know that i have to use only the vertices. i.e instead of AB, BC, CE, EF, FD, DA, i have to write only:
ABCEFDA.

Zulfi.

Related to Graph: difference between cycle & circuit

What is the difference between a cycle and a circuit in a graph?

A cycle in a graph is a path that starts and ends at the same vertex, while passing through other vertices only once. A circuit in a graph is a path that starts and ends at the same vertex, while passing through other vertices more than once.

Can a cycle be a circuit?

Yes, a cycle can also be a circuit if it passes through other vertices more than once.

What is an example of a cycle in a graph?

An example of a cycle in a graph is a square with four vertices connected by four edges. Starting and ending at any vertex, one can travel along the edges and return to the starting vertex, creating a cycle.

What is an example of a circuit in a graph?

An example of a circuit in a graph is a triangle with three vertices connected by three edges. Starting and ending at any vertex, one can travel along the edges and return to the starting vertex, creating a circuit.

Can a cycle or circuit exist in a directed graph?

Yes, both a cycle and circuit can exist in a directed graph. In a directed graph, the edges have a direction and the cycle or circuit must follow the direction of the edges.