Solving Graph of Sinusoid Homework Problem

• Thread starter amsi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary: Look at the graph. The sine reaches the same value (apart from 1 and -1) twice per oscillation. So the numerator is 105445.87 s^-1.
amsi
Okay I feel really stupid for getting wrong omega for such a trivial problem.

1. Homework Statement

Find the function of e(t) = A* sin(wt + fi)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A = 0.9 V
at t = 0 e(t) = -0.35, and therefore:
-0.35 = 0.9 * sin (w*0 + fi) / * arcsin
arcsin(-7/18)= fi
fi = -22.89 degrees = -0.4 rad

at t = 26 us , A = 0 V, and therefore:
0 = 0.9 * sin (w*26u -0.4 ) / *arcsin
0 = w*26 u - 0.4
w = 0.4/26 * 10 ^- 6
w = 15384 rad / s which is not correct

Attachments

• sinusoida.JPG
    sinusoida.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
Your phase difference between the points is not 0.4 rad. Be careful with multiples of pi. The -0.4 rad would mean you are approaching the (arbitrary) phase 0 soon. That is not true. Zero is where the curve goes from negative to positive, that is more than pi rad to the left or a 0.4 rad less than pi to the right.

mfb said:
Your phase difference between the points is not 0.4 rad. Be careful with multiples of pi. The -0.4 rad would mean you are approaching the (arbitrary) phase 0 soon. That is not true. Zero is where the curve goes from negative to positive, that is more than pi rad to the left or a 0.4 rad less than pi to the right.
Yes this is also bothering me - 0.4 rad = - 22 degrees ,it would mean sinusoide is 'moved' to the right for 22 degrees out of phase, also I look it this way like judging from picture, sine is moved from the phase of function -Asin(wt) = A*sin(wt+180) to the left for 22 degrees so it's Asin(wt+202 degrees) ,then I get that omega is w= 136197 rad/s

Your phase advances from "0.4 after a zero crossing" to "pi after this zero crossing", so pi-0.4.
Alternatively, from pi+0.4 (an alternative solution for the sine) to 2 pi (also an alternative solution), which gives the same difference.
This difference is your numerator.

I get that w= 105445.87 s^-1 ,but I don't understand why did I get as a result 0.4 rad,how can we prove this mathematically by equations,not just looking from graph.

Well, a sine reaches the same value (apart from 1 and -1) twice per oscillation. You have to "look at the graph" (or know the derivative at this point) to figure out which one applies to your case.

1. What is a sinusoid?

A sinusoid is a mathematical function that describes a smooth, repetitive oscillation. It is often represented graphically as a wave-like curve and is commonly seen in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How do I solve a graph of sinusoid homework problem?

To solve a graph of sinusoid homework problem, you will need to use the equation y = A sin(Bx + C) + D, where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, C is the phase shift, and D is the vertical shift. You will also need to understand how each of these variables affects the shape and position of the graph.

3. What are the key steps to solving a graph of sinusoid homework problem?

The key steps to solving a graph of sinusoid homework problem include identifying the amplitude, frequency, phase shift, and vertical shift, plugging these values into the equation y = A sin(Bx + C) + D, and then plotting the graph using these values. You may also need to use trigonometric identities and techniques to simplify the equation and find specific points on the graph.

4. How do I know if I have solved a graph of sinusoid homework problem correctly?

You can check if you have solved a graph of sinusoid homework problem correctly by graphing your solution and comparing it to the given graph. Your solution should have the same shape and position as the given graph, and all the key points (such as the maximum and minimum points) should match.

5. What are some tips for solving graph of sinusoid homework problems?

Some tips for solving graph of sinusoid homework problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the key variables, using appropriate trigonometric identities and techniques, and checking your solution by graphing. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of problems to improve your understanding and skills.