1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph of sinusoid

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    Okay I feel really stupid for getting wrong omega for such a trivial problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the function of e(t) = A* sin(wt + fi)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    A = 0.9 V
    at t = 0 e(t) = -0.35, and therefore:
    -0.35 = 0.9 * sin (w*0 + fi) / * arcsin
    arcsin(-7/18)= fi
    fi = -22.89 degrees = -0.4 rad

at t = 26 us , A = 0 V, and therefore:
    0 = 0.9 * sin (w*26u -0.4 ) / *arcsin
    0 = w*26 u - 0.4
    w = 0.4/26 * 10 ^- 6
    w = 15384 rad / s which is not correct

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your phase difference between the points is not 0.4 rad. Be careful with multiples of pi. The -0.4 rad would mean you are approaching the (arbitrary) phase 0 soon. That is not true. Zero is where the curve goes from negative to positive, that is more than pi rad to the left or a 0.4 rad less than pi to the right.

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3
    Yes this is also bothering me - 0.4 rad = - 22 degrees ,it would mean sinusoide is 'moved' to the right for 22 degrees out of phase, also I look it this way like judging from picture, sine is moved from the phase of function -Asin(wt) = A*sin(wt+180) to the left for 22 degrees so it's Asin(wt+202 degrees) ,then I get that omega is w= 136197 rad/s

5. Feb 2, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Your phase advances from "0.4 after a zero crossing" to "pi after this zero crossing", so pi-0.4.
    Alternatively, from pi+0.4 (an alternative solution for the sine) to 2 pi (also an alternative solution), which gives the same difference.
    This difference is your numerator.

6. Feb 4, 2016 #5
    I get that w= 105445.87 s^-1 ,but I don't understand why did I get as a result 0.4 rad,how can we prove this mathematically by equations,not just looking from graph.

7. Feb 4, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Well, a sine reaches the same value (apart from 1 and -1) twice per oscillation. You have to "look at the graph" (or know the derivative at this point) to figure out which one applies to your case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted