Graph of v(t) for a Sports Car

In summary: Velocity changes with time and the slope of the graph corresponds to how fast velocity is changing over time.
ProBasket
The graph shows the velocity v of a sports car as a function of time t . Use the graph to answer the following questions.

1.) Find the maximum acceleration a_max of the car
Express your answer in meters per second squared to the nearest integer.
a_max= _____________________ m/s^2

from the graph, should the acceleration be around 55m/s? but the answer must be in m/s^2, should am i suppose to convert it first? I'm new to physics, so all of this is pretty confusing.

Attachments

• M1K_va_3.jpg
    M1K_va_3.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 680
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this from a non-calculus based physics class?

ProBasket said:
The graph shows the velocity v of a sports car as a function of time t . Use the graph to answer the following questions.

1.) Find the maximum acceleration a_max of the car
Express your answer in meters per second squared to the nearest integer.
a_max= _____________________ m/s^2

from the graph, should the acceleration be around 55m/s? but the answer must be in m/s^2, should am i suppose to convert it first? I'm new to physics, so all of this is pretty confusing.

velocity is in m/s is it not? Acceleration is the change of velocity with respect to a change in time or [itex]\Delta v/\Delta t[/itex]. Loot athe the graph and equate changes in velocity with their corresponding change in time.

Is this from a non-calculus based physics class?
it's a cal-based class.

faust9 said:
velocity is in m/s is it not? Acceleration is the change of velocity with respect to a change in time or [itex]\Delta v/\Delta t[/itex]. Loot athe the graph and equate changes in velocity with their corresponding change in time.

how would i find the changes in velocity? it's all over the place. and for time, would the change in time be 1?

ProBasket said:
it's a cal-based class.

how would i find the changes in velocity? it's all over the place. and for time, would the change in time be 1?

If this is a calculus based class then you should know that acceleration is the slope of a velocity function.

given a function y(x) then the slope of said function is dy/dx. Given a function of v(t) then the slope is dv/dt which is acceleration.

Think slope and grab a ruler.

1. What is the purpose of a v(t) graph for a sports car?

A v(t) graph for a sports car shows the relationship between the velocity (v) and time (t) of the car. It can provide information about the car's acceleration, maximum speed, and overall performance.

2. How is the v(t) graph for a sports car different from a regular car?

A sports car typically has a steeper v(t) graph compared to a regular car, indicating a faster acceleration and higher maximum speed. It may also have a shorter time interval, meaning it takes less time to reach its maximum speed.

3. What does a flat line on a v(t) graph for a sports car indicate?

A flat line on a v(t) graph for a sports car indicates that the car is maintaining a constant velocity. This could mean that the car is traveling at its maximum speed or is not accelerating or decelerating.

4. How can a v(t) graph for a sports car help with fuel efficiency?

A v(t) graph for a sports car can show how the car's velocity changes over time, allowing drivers to adjust their speed and driving habits to improve fuel efficiency. By maintaining a more consistent velocity and avoiding sudden acceleration or braking, a sports car can use less fuel.

5. Can a v(t) graph for a sports car be used to predict the car's future performance?

Yes, a v(t) graph for a sports car can be used to make predictions about the car's future performance. By analyzing the slope and shape of the graph, scientists can estimate how the car will accelerate, its maximum speed, and how long it will take to reach certain velocities. This information can be helpful for drivers and car manufacturers in understanding and improving the car's performance.